Sign in to follow this  
davidwort

painting springs, what with?

any suggestions on what to paint some rusty rear springs with, I'm thinking the hammerite I've already got in the garage, but will that just flake off straight away? The springs are fine, eibachs, which I guess are pretty good grade steel, just the original paint is coming off over most of the coils, have cleaned most of the old flaking paint off already.

hammerite should be fine, might be worth getting a fresh tin of hammerite smooth as i find after a while it goes like gooey tar in the tin

could always spray them first with a rust protection primer, i think halfords do a zinc one

ive tried doing a few motor bike springs...nothing seems to last or look right, its a right bugger to paint a spring lol

then i had some powder coated...good as new and last forever

hammerite should be fine, might be worth getting a fresh tin of hammerite smooth as i find after a while it goes like gooey tar in the tin

could always spray them first with a rust protection primer, i think halfords do a zinc one

Hammerite has rust protection built in y0.

David, Hammerite will be fine. I've done ARBs in it before and even though they flex less than springs do, it's pretty fluid stuff unlike powdercoat.

David ,

I've aways used industrial paint, the kind that machines (lathes, presses, mills etc) are painted with in factories normally that crap light green colour :| . It's available from my local shop that mixes paints for cars and is available in a variety of colours. It's a bit like smooth hammerite and the bonus is the greater variety of colours. If you want to go a step further spray some plasticote on top or regularly coat with some kind of oil or waxoyl .

Is it worth going to massive trouble just for some rusty old springs?

I would have thought Hammerite was more than up to the task.

You never know when someone might look underneath your arches :grin:

You never know when someone might look underneath your arches :grin:[/quote:3uc68xj9]

crickey i have to agree springs are out of site i really wouldnt be bothered with it , m/bikes are different there on show .

I would have figured powder coating would be where you'd want to go as something like hammerite would dry to a hard finish and then the spring would compress on bumps and subsequently crack the paint..?

thanks for the replies, didn't read the forum yesterday and I've hammerited them now!

was a complete pig of a job cleaning them up and getting all the old flaking paint off but I got them pretty well stripped in the end.

In hindsight shot blasting might have been a good labour saving idea though!

Hammerite actually seems pretty flexible from where I've used it before and removing the stuff is more of a scrape and peel job than chipping and flaking coventional paint. If they do go tatty quickly I might just pull them off again and do it properly but I imagine a new set of eibachs would be about the same as shot blasting and coating four springs?

I'm having some new grooves cut in my rear koni dampers to give a wider range of height settings so the next thing is finding something suitable for painting them up with, they're also starting to look a bit scabby, so will have to look for some yellow chassis/industrial paint or something.

And yes, painting springs by hand is a mare of a job, I'm still peeling paint off me and the B&D workbench will never be the same again :lol:

I would have figured powder coating would be where you'd want to go as something like hammerite would dry to a hard finish and then the spring would compress on bumps and subsequently crack the paint..?

Please see my original post :|

Hammerite has rust protection built in y0.

^It doesn't!

Hammerite is rubbish, far better products out there... it's also oil based so not really good for anything around an engine bay

All Hammershite say is that you can paint directly onto rust, and when you do it lasts about a year max!

thanks for the replies, didn't read the forum yesterday and I've hammerited them now!

was a complete pig of a job cleaning them up and getting all the old flaking paint off but I got them pretty well stripped in the end.

In hindsight shot blasting might have been a good labour saving idea though!

Hammerite actually seems pretty flexible from where I've used it before and removing the stuff is more of a scrape and peel job than chipping and flaking coventional paint. If they do go tatty quickly I might just pull them off again and do it properly but I imagine a new set of eibachs would be about the same as shot blasting and coating four springs?

I'm having some new grooves cut in my rear koni dampers to give a wider range of height settings so the next thing is finding something suitable for painting them up with, they're also starting to look a bit scabby, so will have to look for some yellow chassis/industrial paint or something.

And yes, painting springs by hand is a mare of a job, I'm still peeling paint off me and the B&D workbench will never be the same again :lol:

How are the springs holding out? Any chippinig or peeling of paint? I've got some springs which need blasting and painting and had a quote of £50 to do them, which seems quite a lot. Thought i might take the wire brush in the drill to them and hammerite like you have? UNless you suggest otherwise?

how about covering them in stone chip??? flexible, creates a nice thick coat and can paint over with a colour of your choice afterwards??

Happy to be told this is a bad idea! :D

Just a suggestion!

T