Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Suddenly lost alot of oil VR6

I think my car hates me at the moment!

About a month ago I had new sp 263 cams, tappets and all mounts changed along with a fresh change of oil with synta silver. Today after giving the car a good wash I decided to check the oil level. To my horror the dipstick showed there was absolutely no oil in the engine at all :shock: There was a tiny bit right on the end of the dipstick but that was it.

Yesterday I went on a 100 mile round trip to let the car stretch it's legs a bit. I was driving moderately hard but not thrashing it too much :)

The car has done 135k and had the headgasket, timing chains and tensioners changed 25k ago along with a regular oil change every 5k. The engine makes no funny noises, it doesn't smoke at all and it uses oil modestly.

The question is what could have caused the engine to loose so much oil in a short space of time? There doesn't appear to be oil leaks either...

Cheers

Do you have an oil cooler fitted?

No I don't, the oil temp seems to settle at 98 degrees and occasionally goes over 100 degrees when thrashing it.

Were you parked on a slope? ;)

Good question! I was parked on a slight slope but I moved the car back to more level ground and checked again 1 hour later and it was still the same. I topped it up with synta silver it took about 2 litres :shock:

Did you do the work yourself, if not, did you check the oil level after leaving the garage? The reason I ask, I had more or less the same work done as yourself, 268 shricks,gruven crack pipe, blah blah, checked the oil after a couple of 30-40 mile runs, was showing about 1mm on the very bottom of the stick, obviously the oil had never been topped up after the work was done :bad-words: I am now getting blue smoke, phoned to query and was told everything was checked :? I asked if the valve stem seals were replaced, they said no you didn't supply any! WTF

Did you do the work yourself, if not, did you check the oil level after leaving the garage? The reason I ask, I had more or less the same work done as yourself, 268 shricks,gruven crack pipe, blah blah, checked the oil after a couple of 30-40 mile runs, was showing about 1mm on the very bottom of the stick, obviously the oil had never been topped up after the work was done :bad-words: I am now getting blue smoke, phoned to query and was told everything was checked :? I asked if the valve stem seals were replaced, they said no you didn't supply any! WTF

I did get a garage to do the work and I checked the oil level a week after and all was fine. Sorry to hear about your problems, that would really hack me if that happened to me :censored:

I'm beginning to think maybe there was an oil blockage somewhere in my engine and after taking it out for a run it cleared it which would explain the massive drop in oil??

Thankfully my engine seems fine but I dread to think how long it has been running like that for :(

how many miles did you do from when it was full to when you fund it empty? the manual states vr's use 1 litre of oil every 600 miles and aperently from full to empty on the dipstick is 1 litre. thats about what mine uses.

how many miles did you do from when it was full to when you fund it empty? the manual states vr's use 1 litre of oil every 600 miles and aperently from full to empty on the dipstick is 1 litre. thats about what mine uses.

That's interesting, I didn't know that the dipstick only reads 1 litre of the overall engine oil capacity. I would say have probably covered about 300 miles since it was changed...

Yep, min to max on the dipstick is about 1 litre (it says so in the manual.. ;) ).

Most VRs get progressively noisier when the oil level drops. You'd tell.

Yep, min to max on the dipstick is about 1 litre (it says so in the manual.. ;) ).

Most VRs get progressively noisier when the oil level drops. You'd tell.

agreed, mine sounded like a pig last week, checked the oil and it was on minimum, topped it back up...sweet as a nut!

I have to say mine didn't seem any noisier yesterday :scratch:

Although it did seem to go much better when I topped it up, either that or the Shell VR-Power I put in yesterday!