Sign in to follow this  
skinnyman9000

Spoiler motor repair/replace guide?

I did it recently, top tip, take a bunch of photos of where everything is routed to refer to later, I swapped out a whole mechanism and bar a bit of fiddling and jiggling to get the wiper motor out first it's all pretty easy, use a good sharp new phillips screwdriver on the bolts that hold the spoiler support seals on the outside of the tailgate on, mine were way tight.

Hi,

I did this job a while back - my motor jammed/over heated and blew the fuse. As well as the vwvortex link above, which was useful, I put a few more pics on my thread at the time:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=65132

As already said, it is worth taking a few photos as you dismantle to assist putting everything back together again. I found the hardest part is removing the mechanism - the rear light wiring, windscreen wiper wiring/hose, etc. were all intertwined with the actuator mechanism.

Good luck - let me know if you want more pictures (I only posted some originally).

Watch out for the plastic tubes that attach to the hatch. They're held on with 2 screws and sometimes rather than the screw turning, the plastic underneath shears off instead. Nice.

Parts relating to the spoiler are sold only as a complete spoiler assembly at ~£500+VAT.....so go easy on it.

Said issue happened to mine, but I managed to repair it somehow.

And also, when you strip the pushrod mechanism to clean / regrease it, make sure the nipples are at the same height before putting the tubes (that attach to the spoiler) back on, or the spoiler will raise and lower on the tilt...... you'll see what I mean when it's in bits.

Cheers guys

From the looks of things i might leave this job until after E38 so that my boot isn't in pieces

It really isnt too bad a job and I am a technical no hoper :grin:

Saying that i stripped and cleaned everything and mine still doesnt work properly :( :confused4: