Sign in to follow this  
davmatt

Replacing the rear exhaust Section??

does anyone know how to get the original fit one piece rear section of ther exhaust off the car(and the replacement back on) without dismantling the entire rear 'axle'. Ta!

Presumably you're talking about a VR6??

If so you have two options.

1) remove rear axle to remove the old exhaust

2) cut old exhaust through over the axle

I went for the former, as I was having a new piece fitted at the same time (identical).

What sort of C you got? Did my 16v myself again earlier this year, nothing as drastic as dropping the rear axle though! :lol:

I changed the mid and rear box, took me about 4hours as the clasps had ceased due to the heat - ended up angle grinding the bloody things off!

Once removed the box is relatively easy to get back on (it hooks over the rear bar) - you'll need a friends ramp though, i've done it off concrete blocks once and it took me three days :(

Best bet is just get underneath the car and have a good look round, as it's dead easy to suss where joints are. Don't forget some spare hanging rubbers and the exhaust sealant.

If you don't like getting dirty, and crap in your eyes - you won't like this job though!!

Good luck!

Sorry forgot to say its VR6. Have go old bit apart an though i'd check for reponses before i cut it ! am used to poor design when it comes to replacing car parts...I own a Mini(a real one) BUT this strikes me as an insane situation for a consumable part like an exhaust on an otherwise well thought out vehicle.

So do i have to remove axle in its entireity or can i just drop one end and leave all the pipes connected.

Am assuming at this point that the 16v exhaut splits unlike the VR which is why Aide didnt have too many probems with his!

AAARRGGGHHHH!!!!! Bloody cars!!

I'd question the definition of "consumable" on a part that lasts around 8-10 years... !!

If the exhaust is consumable on a VR6, then so are the rear brake calipers, fuel pumps, door handles, headlight switches, engine mounts, coil packs ... the list goes on!!

I believe there is a VW exhaust for the VR that comes in two sections for the rear, but it's even more expensive. VW recommend you buy the single-piece part and cut it, then weld it shut again over the axle.

Bugger it didnt post my previous reply!

if plan A, the exhaust from a vw dismantler for £65 doesnt work then i shall be straight on to the Magnex site! VW wanted £300 + £95 to fit it you know!

point taken about the consumable ness of an exhaust that lasts for 9 years and actually most of its is still in v. good nick!

Have now got exhaust off car, took 1.5 hours. The answer to my own question is...remove 6 axle retaining bolts, bottom rear near shock ab. bolt, rear near wheel and just lower the axle with everything attached.

I humbly apologise to the corrado gods, it was much easier than i expected. Thanks for everyones support, you are much more usefull than the corrado owners club.

Hopefully i'll get the 'new' one back on tommorrow. Ta! again.

Did you undo the rear brake lines as well davematt? Im in the same situation at the mo with the big mid box after cat starting to go at the join to the last rear can.

I went to BUDGET Tyre and Exhuast for my annual MOT and was informed of it leaking ever so slight and they Failed it! The manager said he would be able to do me a GREAT DEAL. Wait for it With a whopping 1 yes 1Year warranty £600 for part and £100 to fit :shock: :lol: .

After a quick call to VW in Edinburgh they told me £340 just for part but no quote for fit :) So it looks like ill be looking at some system that splits over rear axle as dropping axle worries me a little,what with getting the thing in the exact same place as it was in the first place or was this no problem for you ?

Did you go for Magnex (couple hours work) or Original VW Part (Time to get dirty)?

Just another point this is to all readers whats the most and best price quoted for this piece of exhuast :?

Cheers

at the mo replacment part is a 2nd hand, one piece VW part from a dismantlers. £65 removed from scrap car. if its in as good nick as they say, great. If not then i'll have to look into a Magnex or some such.

VW want £300 and deny that they do a split version, although another VW dealer said a split version was available.

I have not disconnected any hoses or pipes. as stated in the post only the retaining bolts on the axle and the shock. Tell me your e-mail addy and i'll send you a photo of it!

I worked in a vw franchise for a while and i was always fighting with the parts department over vr6 rear silencers. There is a single piece rear box available. To fit this you cut the rear silencer from the middle just before the rear axle at the point where it is roundest. You will have to buy a sleeve to mount the new rear silencer. This is available from vw and is produced for this purpose. It is the same for mark 3 vr6's, polo,s and some audis. You will just have to get someone in the parts that has half an idea what they are doing! I hope this helps. :D

Riki.

Problem is (well at least in my case) the rear box was perfectly ok, it was the big centre box that had holes in it.

Interesting to know that they *do* offer this though.

The same thing applies. You just have to look at the length of the pipe coming out the new box, be it the rear or the centre. Just cut it in the correct place. The boxes are the same diameter pipes so they will match up ok. If you fit a new centre box it would be an idea to get a genuine clamp for that. The bit that joins the front silencer. They are a lot better fit an seem to seal the pipes a lot better than the kwick fit U clamps.

Riki.

Just Collected my 'NEW' rear section. Its so new the stickers are still stuck to it and can still be read!! £BARGIN @£65.