Sign in to follow this  
Jim Hughes

Rear suspension problem

Hello,

I took my j plate 16v Corrado off the road at the end of spring, and noticed (as I thought) the drivers- side factory spec rear audio speaker had come adrift. It had'nt, the shock absorber/ strut assembly had punched it out!.....Basically I can move the strut top around about an inch- and yes the top nut is still 'on' and tight. What lies beneath this? has some-sort of rubber bush split and gone astray? ( I have had A few Scirocco's) and am familiar with this arrangement. Yes I am being lazy by not having a closer look but I need to get the car on the road soon, and by asking the question I can order the part. Do the job once, Simple. :wave: I have no manuals to go by but then again, I have owned the car since 1998-Ihave not needed any! funny ......

There is a metal plate on the top of the spring that the shock fits under. It's rusted away and the shock has pushed through.

If it is the spring top cap rusted away, this is the part number 191512113, its about £7 from VW

Isn't there also a metal tab on the actual shock that rusts, snaps and then causes this problem. If it is this then a new shock is needed.

Like this:

DSC00213.jpg

Fun times no?

As said, it'll be the metal top plate, it just rusted through on mine and died, on closer inspection the entire suspension wasnt too magic, so i just bagged me some coilovers!

Many -many thanks for your replys folks, I ordered the parts from my local dealer today and they confirmed it was a common promblem. Ifeel ashamed to admit that the car felt a ' little loose at the back-end for a while '. Buggeration, ALL -was- not -connected. Tut ; I thought it was a: Speaker problem. :shock:

Change the dampers at the same time, as A-J said there is a ring/collet which needs replacing which after rusting - need's removing with an angle- grinder or similar if you are stuck for time like myself . also the front mounting points of the suspension may need further inspection as they too could require replacement, if you do not have the time of day to sit trawling this could be usefull.

ooh - thats just happened on mine!!! see help topic, lol

maybe just a new top plate then???

mine handled like a boat getting it back home, lol, woops ;)

rob.