Sign in to follow this  
biggerbigben

Biggerbigben - Mates R32 Storm - MAPPED.. by friend&Myself!

Hi all,

Just thought I'd post a few pics of the current project I'm working on for a friend. I'm doing an engine conversion and a full respray for him. This Storm is a great basis in which to do what we have planned. I'm tempted to buy it off him once its done as it will be a great 'modern' fresh looking corrado with mod cons like air con, heated seats etc!

Anyway see below for a few pics from this morning before the heavens opened! (took x2 days off work to try and get the new engine in! gulp..!) I'm just praying that it stops raining soon so I can get the old 12v out!

I'll keep you guys guessing as to what the new engine might be ;-)

More updates to follow shortly! :grin:

Ben

is that blue with cream leather?? always wondered how a 'switched' Storm would look.

re engine - R36?? 8) :luvlove:

im guessing 2.8 24v, looks nice though

why bother with 2.8 when you can put in either a 3.2/3.6 :)

is that blue with cream leather?? always wondered how a 'switched' Storm would look.

re engine - R36?? 8) :luvlove:

Its green chap, with the cream leather although we could paint it Mystic blue when I sort the re-spray.. still would be a storm but it would just spice things up a little ;-)

im guessing 2.8 24v, looks nice though

Nope.. :)

why bother with 2.8 when you can put in either a 3.2/3.6 :)

Exactly.. but there could be a twist ;-) Although the final decision hasn't been made yet..

Mmmmmm i know :ignore: :cuckoo:

shhhh ;-)

More pics.. we had a downpour this afternoon but after that I cracked on and got the engine out. Will clean the bay tomorrow morning, swap the gearbox over, fit the new clutch and try at least rest the new engine into place. I might need to get the welder out on the front engine mount to lower the front of the engine so the bonnet misses.

More to follow tomorrow :)

Great skills as ever Ben. Look forward to seeing how this turns out. First full engine transplant on a Storm (on the Corrado Forum at least) if i'm not mistaken..?

Great skills as ever Ben. Look forward to seeing how this turns out. First full engine transplant on a Storm (on the Corrado Forum at least) if i'm not mistaken..?

Thanks Jim..

Is it really the first time a Storm has had a complete engine conversion?! Surely someone must have done one before? If not I can understand from the aircon side of things! Its is going to be interesting hooking up that to the new engine! God knows how I'm going to sort that, both systems look completely different :( Might have to get some conversion pipes made I think!

Anyway all will be revealed soon! ;-)

I know people have done adventurous stuff before (like Stormchargedvr6's turbo'd VR) but I really don't think that anyone has actually ripped out the 12v lump and stuck in something else on a Storm. Again - this is from a purely blinkered perspective as I don't venture onto many other VW forums! :(

Guys,

I need a favour! Those who have done 24v conversions, would you poss be able to send me a pic of the Alternator/PAS bracket you've used?! I've got a feeling I need a 2.8 24v bracket so that the corrado PAS pump will fit.. my late engine doesn't even have a PAS pump, they must use electric PAS pumps?!

Thanks!

Ben

Another update.. unfortunatly I just ran out of time today, wanted to get the engine in the bay but hey ho. Got it ready to go in anyhow..

So I cleaned up the Storm gearbox, seems fine so no point in changing anything.. bearings are all still tight. Removed the 24v flywheel and fitted a cleaned up 12v version and bolted up the new clutch. Then it was just a case of fitting the gearbox to the 24v. I then stripped the 24v engine pretty much to a long block so that its easier to install in the corrado bay (hopefully sunday afternoon if I have time!).. The corrado bay could do with a clean really but I'm sure I can do that with the engine in place. Oh I also removed the old downpipe.. what a rusty bit of junk! lol

Pics below..

So its an r32 for this project then I was driving an r32 at work today and it felt pretty quick so that engine in a nice light Corrado should be fapping quick...but if you boost it aswell :norty:

So its an r32 for this project then I was driving an r32 at work today and it felt pretty quick so that engine in a nice light Corrado should be fapping quick...but if you boost it aswell :norty:

Indeedy.. A mk5 R32 engine that has done.... 9,000 miles!!!

So you mean if it had this attached it would be :norty: ??

:wave:

:lol:

You really go Turbo with this motor, thats Awesome 8)

Time for me to up Boost :lol:

The owner wants to go NA to begin with but I think seeing as most of the turbo parts are bought it would be rude not to go force induction! :grin:

This isn't for Guy by any chance Ben? :lol:

No. Although I am helping him take is R32T to the next level. We are rebuilding the motor to a 600bhp spec.. :nuts:

Thats quite a large turbot....

Nice work Ben. :)

Its not bad. Could have gone for a GT40 or 42 but decided to go with a GT35R with the largest hot side as it suits the R32 engine really well. Will still do 600bhp if required!

Indeedy.. A mk5 R32 engine that has done.... 9,000 miles!!!

So you mean if it had this attached it would be :norty: ??

:wave:

only one? :(

may as well fit two :D

have you heard that the R32 will do approx 550bhp with standard internals 8)

well i hope it does??????

a GT35R with the largest hot side as it suits the R32 engine really well. Will still do 600bhp if required!

3582R with the 1.06 hotside will push over 650 on the R32 8) :D

Looks like the makings of a good project!

a GT35R with the largest hot side as it suits the R32 engine really well. Will still do 600bhp if required!

3582R with the 1.06 hotside will push over 650 on the R32 8) :D

Looks like the makings of a good project!

Don't know about good! Sounds mental!! LOL :grin:

I take it your converting to 4wd????