Sign in to follow this  
Andy T

Ride quality on std susp/wheels

Should ride be really crashy on a g60 with std. shocks/springs & 15" wheels?

Ride is generally ok apart from going over slight bumps/expansion gaps/manhole covers on say one side of the car - it always makes a loud crash as if it were a large pothole!

My old GTI was dropped 40mm on very firm shocks & 16" wheels, and was better over slight bumps than the Corrado is!

It baffles me cos I cringe going over slight surface changes that I wouldnt even of noticed in the GTI.....

Could it be just down to the stiffer springs on the Corrado and the thicker anti roll bars? Springs are newish & shocks r good, top mounts a little ropey!

cheers

std suspension should be great unless parts are worn or your aftermarket exhaust is banging?

Went in a Corrado with 220bhp with std shocks & eibach shortened springs.......it was hard and rattled....put me right off lowering,do the coilovers make the corrado rattle & squek on the interior?

do the coilovers make the corrado rattle & squek on the interior?

Mine don't... 8)

The ride's a bit firmer than standard, but definately not harsh or crashy... :D ...and the handling improvement is unreal! 8)

I've got a supersport coilover setup from Venom... set to 30mm lower and cornerweighted...

Went in a Corrado with 220bhp with std shocks & eibach shortened springs.......it was hard and rattled....put me right off

Standard shocks with lowering springs is not the best setup to use. Anything less than 30mm drop & the car will start to experience handling problems.

Far better to fit either coilovers or shorter (uprated) shocks & lowering springs.

Any car with stiff/lowered suspension will be more prone to bangs/rattles but this is totally dependant on how many loose parts the car has.

Hmm seriously starting to think that something is wrong.....

I know one of the top mounts is bad (to be replaced) but that wouldn't explain it all.

Anyway i've booked the car in for a thorough check over & report on wednesday to we'll see what they find.

It's difficult to rate how "crashy" suspension is. My C is much more harsh on small road imperfections than my previous car, but on the whole I don't have reason to believe there's anything seriously wrong with it (for once!!). My missus' pug 206 rides beautifully compared to my C over imperfect surfaces. That's what you get for driving a car with suspension based on the mk 2 golf which came out in 198x..

I'd hold off till your top mounts are done and see what you think then.

I know what you mean, ppl differ in how they notice things. Like this morning I'd got half way to work then realised it didn't seem so bad this morn!

Having no stereo to listen to make's you notice things alot too!

It's fine over bumps and changes where both the front wheels pass over, seems to be more when the bump only affects one wheel, which makes me think its the suspension fighting against the stiffer roll bar's fitted to 'rado's

Sound like you could have a broken anti roll bar mount... When both wheels hit a bump at the same time, the bar moves with both wishbones and so no crash or nastyness in the ride... Hit one wheel on a bump and the anti-roll bar is not supported properly by the mount so it waves around and crashes and bangs into the wishbones... :?

They ain't expensive or difficult to do, which is nice...

Did you get a chance to jack her up and have a look? With this many suspension and steering questions, noises and oddities that you're posting about, I'd be in a hurry to find out what it is if I were you... :shock:

Good luck!

my c has the same problem, puts me off driving her, new standard shocks with eibach springs, new everything.. arb bushes .top mounts, still rattles me to bits, do koni coilovers really work?? :cry:

G60bv,

The key point in your message is the bit about Eibach springs.

They are f. hard.

Fitting them to standard dampers is really not going to help as they will struggle to control them.

BTW - you did trim the bumpstops didn't you?

Andy,

I agree with Henny - get the anti-rollbar mountings checked and where the bar attaches to the wishbones.

Cheers I'll check the anti-roll bar mountings.

Added to all this, I found the n/s front tyre is worn badly on the inside, great! I think alot of this is because the previous owner had it lowered, but for some reason stock front springs were put back on, and the steering alignment has not been done. It drives straight but there is visible positive camber which aint good(american-style tyre screeching at low cornering speeds) :D :shock: :oops:

Anyway on wednesday it's getting a full mechanical check over and 4-wheel laser alignment, so that should put a few things right and answer a few questions!!

thanks,

Sound like you could have a broken anti roll bar mount... When both wheels hit a bump at the same time, the bar moves with both wishbones and so no crash or nastyness in the ride... Hit one wheel on a bump and the anti-roll bar is not supported properly by the mount so it waves around and crashes and bangs into the wishbones... :?

Did you get a chance to jack her up and have a look? With this many suspension and steering questions, noises and oddities that you're posting about, I'd be in a hurry to find out what it is if I were you... :shock:

Good luck!

Sorry to go a bit off topic and hijack your thread but has anyone got any great tips on getting rid of rattles in the interior etc. All i know of is making sure everything is tightened and to use stickypads

Sorry to go a bit off topic and hijack your thread but has anyone got any great tips on getting rid of rattles in the interior etc. All i know of is making sure everything is tightened and to use stickypads

What's rattling ?

a blob of clear silicone between parts does the job

nice idea, i'l give it a try :) . Hardest bit is finding the rattles though...

Too true, I have a rattle from the trim at the top of the drivers door aperture, I can't find where it comes from!

Good luck!

Have picked up the car from the garage tonight, no faults with the suspension or steering have been found...

Apart from seized tracking adjustment, play in cambelt, and the worn top mounts which I already knew about.

Must just be me being too picky! :roll:

As soon as I can get hold of the shocks, it will be going back in for springs/shocks/topmounts & 4 wheel alignment. :D

Should ride be really crashy on a g60 with std. shocks/springs & 15" wheels?

Ride is generally ok apart from going over slight bumps/expansion gaps/manhole covers on say one side of the car - it always makes a loud crash as if it were a large pothole!

My old GTI was dropped 40mm on very firm shocks & 16" wheels, and was better over slight bumps than the Corrado is!

It baffles me cos I cringe going over slight surface changes that I wouldnt even of noticed in the GTI.....

Could it be just down to the stiffer springs on the Corrado and the thicker anti roll bars? Springs are newish & shocks r good, top mounts a little ropey!

cheers

I'm glad to say all these problems have gone after replacing the front suspension!

I actually lowered it aswell and gained more ride quality!

The tracking & camber was way out, which probably contributed to the harsness as the wheels would of been pulled all over the place by the bumps.

The shocks were an odd pair & the top mounts were shagged. Springs were newish but I don't know what make....

The car now feels how it's supposed to be :)

YAY! Success! 8) Good for you! :D

I'll lock this one up then... 8)