Sign in to follow this  
Spicy G60

Front number plate position

Does anyone know the actual rules on the placement of your front number plate? Ive had my front bumper smoothed and had the plate mounted on the off side under the bumper which was knocked off due to a monster speed hump so had it displayed in the front window. I've just got pulled over by the police and told it must be mounted on the middle of the front bumper not underneath as i had it. I didn't argue with him but I'm sure it can be mounted anywhere as long as its not obstructed from view.

Any help on this will be great.

I'm not sure of the laws mate, but it doesn't have to be in the middle of the bumper or all the Alfa Romeo models with the plate on the side of the bumper would be illegal! - whether it's allowed to be attached to the bottom of the bumper is another matter.

2005_Alfa_Romeo_156_gta.jpg

you can mount your plate were ever you want on the bumper as long" as you said it not obscured" and visible from a reasonable distance

this sounds like another jumped up cop with to much power going to his head when he knows nothing.

I think as long as it meets minimum size, lettering and spacing requirements, it's ok if it's vertically mounted on the face of the car i.e not sitting on the bonnet. Not researched, just my view. In other words I don't think it has to be on the bumper or centrally mounted for example.

When i got stopped for german pressed plates the copper didnt mention about the front number plate being in the window, he looked at the reg to make sure it was the same as the back and that was it. Had to change the plates over to legal ones but i still run the front plate in the window

Im sure ive read somewhere that it should be positioned beyond/in front of the front wheels?

Neil.