Sign in to follow this  
Son_of_Thor

VR6 front tyre wear

Hi,

I've had a read through the tyre discussion thread and noticed a few mentions of high wear rates on the front tyres of a VR6. I've only had a VR for 6 months and covered approximately 4k on new Hankook's and she's ready for a new pair of fronts - Can anyone tell me if that level of wear is normal?!

She's running on standard 15" Speedlines with FK coil-overs (not sure which models).

Cheers

Son of Thor

How many miles have you done? How hard do you drive?

I do 4k a year and mine last almost three years (Yoko's)

I've only done about 4k which is why I'm concerned about the rate of wear! Most of the time I don't drive the car that hard, but tend to have a bit of fun at some point in every journey! :wink:

I've only done about 4k which is why I'm concerned about the rate of wear! Most of the time I don't drive the car that hard, but tend to have a bit of fun at some point in every journey! :wink:

Yeah I would say that is fair enough, a little fun never hurt anyone :D

Are they wearing evenly?

May be worth trying a more premium tyre brand perhaps.

They do seem to be wearing fairly evenly so I don't think there's a balancing/tracking issue - The wheels are slightly cambered in , but I don't know if that'll make any difference...

Defo think I'll try something different this time around!

The wheels are slightly cambered in , but I don't know if that'll make any difference...

They are all like that so no problem.

Yeah try another brand and see how you go. TBH I always go Yoko or Toyo now as for around £50 a corner it is cheap motoring. Plus they grip really well, although wet weather performance is slightly compromised. Just ordered some new Toyo proxes so will be interested to see what they are like. Look like they may be slightly better in the wet than the old T1's

Matt

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about trying Toyo's anyway - Don't suppose you have any idea if tyre pressure should be different with different suspension? What tyre load rating should I be looking for (current tyres are 86 which seems a little low)?

Thanks for the advice, I was thinking about trying Toyo's anyway - Don't suppose you have any idea if tyre pressure should be different with different suspension? What tyre load rating should I be looking for (current tyres are 86 which seems a little low)?

I wouldnt have thought suspension changes would necessitate a change in tyre pressure. Mine is lowered and I still use the recommended pressures depending on load. i check mine quite often as well as I feel the C handles a bit better with harder pressures.

If you go for the Toyo the load rating should be more than adequate being a performance biased tyre. Think they are 84W whatever that means!

Think they are 84W whatever that means!

That means that the sidewall of the tyre can take a load of up to 500KG (84) and that the tyres are rated up to 167MPH (W)! Mine are 86V (530KG/149MPH). I think the C standard is 'V' rated so u might be able to save urself a few quid in tyres with the lower rating :) The ratings are fairly easy to look up from Google....

Thanks for all your help

Si

Think they are 84W whatever that means!

That means that the sidewall of the tyre can take a load of up to 500KG (84) and that the tyres are rated up to 167MPH (W)! Mine are 86V (530KG/149MPH). I think the C standard is 'V' rated so u might be able to save urself a few quid in tyres with the lower rating :) The ratings are fairly easy to look up from Google....

Thanks for all your help

Si

No problem and thank you! :D Just got the Toyos for my new 'summer' wheels in a 205/40/17 for £175 delivered so I won't complain :wink:

I used Toyo T1-S for 5-6 years, including Track Days and never had an issue with them. In normal use, which I expect would be the same as the OP's 'normal use' I was getting 11,000-12,000 from a set of fronts.

Getting 4,000 from a set of fronts is just ridiculous. I get 5,000 from a set of R888's on the front! Unless you drive everywhere like a complete to$$er you have a problem. Changing from Hancook is a good idea as they're pretty soft compound, but you really should get the geometry checked over as well. I suspect your tyre wear is likely to be related to poor geometry. Checking your tyre pressures is a good idea as well.

HTH

John