Sign in to follow this  
scruffydubbers

Chargecoolers

Hi,

does anybody have a chargecooler?

they look a lot simpler to plump in.

and i imagine the route to the engine will be shorter so less boost pressure will be lost.

are there any bad points etc?

Bad Points

Basically a charge cooler is easy to plumb in on the boost side of things but you still have to plumb in the water pipeing and add another Radiator.

Its on my list!

yeah, i was looking on the pace website, and the cost of the pumps and radiators add up to quite a lot, more expansive than a uprated intercooler :(

i was thinking about using a small radiator off a motor bike, if i could pick a second hand one up it ll help keep the cost down :)

Use a motor cycle radiator or air conditioning radiator and a 12volt marine bilge pump. The pumps are as little as £12 from a chandlery and the rad can come from a scrapper. There is no loss of boost pressure with either system, unless of course it has a leak. There is a difference in system resistance ("pressure drop" is a term used to describe back pressure) and the less resistance you have the more easy it is to pump the air in.

They don't compete with a decent front mounted intercooler. The principals of charge cooling are sound and valid, but in practice you get much better results with intercooling. I've seen a charge cooled 20V turbo struggle to get inlet charge temps below 50 deg C, regardless of charge radiator size.

K

kevhaywire, depends wat you fill the Charge cooler fluid system with :wink: and in higher air temperatures a charge cooler is far more effective than any intercooler, but in the uk, there is not chance of that i guess

OK G60Jet, there are pros and cons for each cooling method I guess. Don't get me wrong, my mate had a wicked custom made Charge cooler (Pace) made up but he encountered a few issues with it.

I just prefer the simpler engineering of intercoolers and if you're really flash, you could also add a Subaru water spray to it aswell :lol: Just gotta watch out for that pressure drop with large intercoolers, but if you can find a genuine Rallye front mounted cooler, you're onto a winner :lol:

What fluid would you normally use in a chargecooler? My mate with his 2.0 G60 just used regular G12 with a little neat methanol for good measure, is that the wrong way of going about it?

K

The larger the intercooler the less pressure dop it will create. Don't get the term "pressure drop" confused with a "drop in pressure". If you pass a give amount of air into a large intercooler it will have resistance due to the larger surface area and the fact that he air will be moving at a lower velocity. This is the same principal as large bore exhausts. The bigger the tube the lower the velocity and the lower the resistance ("pressure drop").

The only drop in air pressure you will get would be caused by a leak.

What fluid would you normally use in a chargecooler? My mate with his 2.0 G60 just used regular G12 with a little neat methanol for good measure, is that the wrong way of going about it?

K

I would think regular G12 isn't ideal for the heat transfere at those temperatures. A methonal Mix is the way to go, with a bit off dry ice thrown in for good measure if you can!!.

As for a Spray bar, I am going to fit one to my standard intercooler running off the screen wash bottle as screen wash contains methonal and is ideal.

i run a custom charge cooler which is awsome, i did have a jabba one , but found these are shit, i use the washer bottle as a resevwar(?) and an air con rad with a fan on it, water with window wash in it is fine, oh and water injection with methonal mix for when the boost get to much, bring chage temp to just above ambiant, always. oh pumps, go to a carvan place get a inline 12v on for £20, and thats for a decent one, sweet.

THis could develop into something very interesting as i am planning to use a charge cooler on my VR as an intercooler is not an option because of the attitude of the charger outlet.

Some good pics would be intresting!

Chris

theres a lot more to it than just "get a pump" and "get a bottle". its a science still and the stated comments are why so many chargecooling ventures fail. the pump needs to be able to shift lots of water preferably 2 speed. good pumps cost over £100. EG a standard subaru charger cooler has a 3.5gpm pump. the uprated items are often 6-15gpm.

the system needs enough water to go through 1 full gear without using the same water. more water is better. water bottles are not. sometimes there aint no other way though. bottles are heat collectors. it may take a while but it happens no bottles is better unless u plan to put ice in or something. a big massive rad is the way to go. as a daily it should provide a better result than a front mount as id say for 40% of my time at least im in traffic. the positioning of the front mount dictates a lot and we all know that on a C its not the easiest to get a direct air feed to all of the cooler.

i will try to get some pics tomorrow, im not to good with computers , i'm getting there thou, hang on.