Sign in to follow this  
Kaktus

Mig welder question!

Hi guys

I am in process of purchasing a mk1 which i would like to get track prepped. But i am a rookie when it comes to welding.

What i need to find out is if i buy a MIG welder, would i be able to weld a rollcage into the car with it. And will it also be good enough to replace some rust spots with it?

Thanks

Hugo

Depends on the rollcage material mate. Stainless = TIG Welding(Not familiar with rollcage stuff, sorry). All other steels should be ok for mig, unless it's galvanised (not 100% sure on galvanised steel, someone may need to verify)

Some specs i found about the one i'm looking at. Will it be sufficient or do i need something more expensive?

MIG100-Technical Data:

Main Voltage: 230V

Main Frequency: 5.50Hz

Absorbed Power: 2KW

Mains Fuse: 13A

Power Factor: 0.83

No Load Voltage: 31V

Adjustment Positions: 2 Steps

Current Adjusting Range: 65A / 90A

Dia. Usable Wire: ?0.6mm / ?0.8mm

/?0.9mm

Duty Cycle: 10%@90A; 20%@65A;

Insulation Class: H

Protection Degree: IP21S

Packing Dimension: 485 x 235 x 380mm

Net Weight: 17.3Kg (Include Acc.)

Gross Weight: 18.8Kg

Depends on the rollcage material mate. Stainless = TIG Welding(Not familiar with rollcage stuff, sorry). All other steels should be ok for mig, unless it's galvanised (not 100% sure on galvanised steel, someone may need to verify)

hi.

I do not plan on welding stainless steel or aluminium though. Also not interested in galvanised steel. just sheet metal for the body, and then the rollcage will be out of mild steel i think. the rules state that the piping for the cage must be either 50x2mm or a minimum of 38x2.5mm bar size.

I have a 13A Arc welder and its fine to penetrate 2mm easily, so I think you should be ok 8)

ye thatl b fine for bosywork...only thing you have to watch is with cheaper MIG's the wire feed can be poor and the wire comes out "juttery" therefore is hard to get a smooth, consistant weld but you should be able to "spot" weld the bodywork with it.

As for the rollcage it will be fine for that but again the feed may come into play...also ideally want as big a current as you can afford for maximum penetration :wink:

I wouldnt bother with a gas free one tbh, im sure theyv been outlawed in Europe as the fumes the flux coated wire gives off is toxic?? Also you could weld galv. steel with a MIG but would ideally have to buff the coating off before welding and again have the problem of fumes when welding!

Andy

65amp is too high for bodywork to be honest, you want 30amp or lower, although I've gotten away with 40amp but its easy to blow holes at that setting, I wouldn't like to try it at 65amp :?

I bet you can be able to make a great welding process with MIG welder because it's actually what I'm using. It has a lot of features that can replace rust spots. It's easy to use and you can surely enjoy using it.

Or someone from Europe with English as his/her second language? :D

Is it worth doing a stickied welding thread? I want to get into it aswell but wouldn't know where to start!

I've just started to weld and bought a 130a SIP welder and it's ace. It's got 6 settings for the power and variable wire speed feed which is great. Will weld up to 3.5mm and ive welded some really thin tin together aswell with it. I even made the robot in my avatar!

I bought myself a Snap on 130a welder a year ago, 2nd hand from ebay, a bargain at only 72 quid, and every1 who has ever welded with it thinks it amazing. Its made by cebora under licence for snap on, but they are brill. It has 4 power settings, lowest is perfect for bodywork, whilst the highest can penetrate 3.5mm easily.

Buy the best you can afford when it comes to welding, as mentioned, wire feed motors are crap on the cheaper ones, but also, the more expensive ones you can buy every single little component for them separately, meaning if it breaks down, you can repair it easily, and relatively cheap.

I have just completed welding an entire Bay window camper with mine, and i can honestly say, its a great little machine.