Sign in to follow this  
Kick Up The Rs

Boot Lock retumble

Is this possible?

I had a look, but the barrel looks a solid unit to me

I'm desperate to get a working boot lock as I lost my keys and I now have the passat handles fitted.

Somehow I just don't trust my RCL

Cheers

Hi there I had this trouble when I first got my C basic set up was boot lock present but no key to lock and seperate passenger and driver keys, passenger would also fit ignition. I just got a replacement lock for the boot (the full lock), with its own key, then had the dealer change the bits on the barrel of the driver's door to accept the passenger (and ignition) key. So I now have one key for front doors and ignition and another for boot.

I did ask could they do the boot too but the guy who did the job said he'd never attempted a boot lock before so couldn't guantee satisfacty job.

I'm happy with end result anyway. Oh all in it was £30 for dealer's to retumble driver's door.

Hope this helps

I believe the boot lock barrel is the same as the rest of the lock barrels on the car, so can be retumbled.

However, you need to have a matching key to start with, otherwise it's not physically possible to get the barrel out of the lock.

So if you've got no keys for the lock(s), you're going to need whole new (or second hand) locks that have a matching key I'm afraid :( Once you've got them, you can then take the barrel out (usually a fairly obvious circlip that holds the barrel in if the lock's off the car) and take it to VW to get retumbled to your key for the rest of the car. They usually charge about £8 a lock.

Thanks guys,

I have a working ignition barrel and keys, passat de-locked handles and the rogue boot lock.

There's a lock set on ebay at the mo. which includes steering column and lock, so may be worth a look...

Ta

The boot lock can defineatley be re-tumbled - I have done it myself. It's also possible without the correct key, once you have the mechanism out just use any AH profile key and draw it in and out and wiggle it up and down as you put pressure on the barrel - eventually it will come out, this also works on all the locks (probably not ignition tho).

You can't re-tumble the ignition lock as the barrel is machined to fit a certain key, you have to change all the other locks to match the ignition.

It is also possible to re-tumble the glovebox lock without breaking it although alot of people will tell you it's not possible - you just have to be careful.

I've done this on every car i've had (all VW's) so let me know if you get stuck.

I have the same problem. I already paid for a replacement boot lock from someone on this 'ere very forum and it never showed up.. :?

I didn't do anything silly like delocking my main door handles though ... !

Re-tumbles all round then lol. I suppose if you had the lock mechanism out you could send it to me with the key you want it to fit, then I could do it for you?

I've just done all mine to match the ignition key, my local dealer got me a kit that has two spare barrels in and all the brass dowels and springs.

Fitting the bits together to match the key took about an hour and then the doors are pretty easy. I've not got the boot yet to be honest, but it can't be that bad...

Do you want me to send you the part number and rough price for the bits?

I have a similar problem - drivers door lock is different to the rest of the car and has it's own key.

Popped down to Colbornes VW, Guildford and they said I need a new barrel (£48) and an hours labour (£86 excl vat). Total is circa £150.... Anyone got any cheaper options?

If I was you I would get my dealer to order me the barrel repair kit (£48) then take it home and do it myself. It took me roughly 1 hour to figure out the dowel pattern, but once it's done you simply repeat.

You get loads of parts in the repair kit + you can keep the old barrels and bits you remove, this means you'll have plenty of bits left to do one of your friends cars too...