Sign in to follow this  
waynos

g60 power loss - back to square 1

yea, the engine was running and warmed up. gunna double check it again tomorrow. Can i use the probe at the earth the lambda is earthed to? The connector looked fine so it looks like its time to get dirty! not looking forward to that

Should be fine to do that Wayne. If the block is earthed properly though you shouldn't need to - any good earth should do. Checking underneath is not too bad - it's all pretty obvious once you're under there. One of the first jobs I did on my G60 was changing the lambda - if I can do it, anyone can :lol:

more progress, my lambda is fine! did the test again and it fluctuated from about 0.2 volts up to 0.7 and back. however as it warmed something strange was going on with my rev gauge. it was fluctuating also! no change in engine tone or anything.ill post a vid up in a sec

right here are the vids, due to it being dark you cant really see the needle move in the first vid, but if you look around the centre point of needle you can kind of tell its having a moment! ive also captured the multimeter reading the lambda voltage

the other two show the revs randoms spazms lol (by the way the idle isnt that low - i didnt put the needle on right when i change over to ddi faces)

th_g60problems.jpg

th_MOV00444.jpg

th_MOV00445.jpg

thanks for that link jon, ive got a spare dizzy that i could try to rule out the hall sender as the culprit. Im just worried that if i take it off i wont get it back in the right spot! Cant help but think that the hesitation and the oddness with the gauge are related

right i swapped in another dizzy, The old one was a right pain to get out! dont think it was ever changed and i couldnt rotate it. I still have the mad fluctuations on my rev gauge! beginning to annoy the crap out of me.Where does the rev counter get its signal from? the coil or the dizzy? suppose ill have to check the wiring next!

right i swapped in another dizzy, The old one was a right pain to get out! dont think it was ever changed and i couldnt rotate it. I still have the mad fluctuations on my rev gauge! beginning to annoy the crap out of me.Where does the rev counter get its signal from? the coil or the dizzy? suppose ill have to check the wiring next!

is yours a j reg?

Mine(j Reg) got its signal from the ecu.

Hmmm.

are you still having the running prob too?

yea, if its easier i can come collect it? i have the work van so i can take the piss a bit lol

:wink:

I have to find the chip though.I think it is at work in slough.

Might be going through there tomorrow.Depends..

On the top right of your fuse box, you will have around 4 black single pin connections...The rev counter feed runs through two of these iirc (can never remember)

Pop them off 1 by 1 while its running to see if they have an effect on the gauge, when one of them does, just make sure its a nice fit back on the fuse box.

As for your running problem...Not sure, i was going to suggest hall sender as mentioned earlier, so maybe borrow a coil from somewhere to try. May be breaking down.

Neil.

would a coil from a 16v work, for some reason i have loads of those knocking about! gunna go and look for that fuse box connection in a minute.

yea its a bit of a trek, ive just checked my connections on the fuse box and they are fine and intact, im going to check my dizzy wiring for continuity from the plug up to the ecu connector, just to rule out any shorts or tiny breakages

right i have no breakages on the hall wiring, the coil wire is also good. checked for earths on pins 13 and 19 and they were good also. Going to swap out my coil and see if that works (fingers crossed)

im pretty sure the g60 coils are meant to be different to 16v. but ive taken mine out and it has the same part number as my 16v one.!? According to the bently manual the resistance between pins 1 and 15 should be 0.5 to 0.7 ohms im getting 1.1 the resistance between 4 and 15 should be between 3000 and 4000 ohms i get 3160 Do i have the wrong coil on the car?

yea im gunna go for it,being a complete numpty i forgot which wires went where when i took the old one off.i kno the green is from the ecu so i guess that goes to the negative side and the black is ignition 12v and that goes to the positive?

swapped my clocks and the guages have stopped arsing about. Ive also changed the plugs and leads.Will give it another shot tommorrow.

the list of changed items so far

Spark plugs

Ht leads

Coil

dizzy

rotor arm

dizzy cap

ecu vacuum pipe

earth straps

fuel filter

starts up nice, idles. i pull away slowly as i accelerate the car does the opossite then the revs just die. car cuts out. It doesnt want to restart for a couple of mins. Strange thing is if you leave it to idle it wont die, i can rev it on the spot aswell and its fine. Really lost my patience now, i cant even drive it anywhere to be looked at because i cant even make it to the end of my road. This exact same problem happened to my 16v and the mk1 golf 1.3 i used to have.Never found the cuase on those either. Thinking of goin jap now as im starting to hate volkswagen

tried ecu and a brand new coil and the problem is still there.i cant even make it to the end of the road. if it was drive able id try and get it down to g werks or something but i cant. anyone have any suggestions at things i could try? im really starting to think about breaking the car