Sign in to follow this  
ShockVR6

Locked out, help !

Hi All, my car has been standing for a week or so and the battery has gone flat.

My car is a VR6, full closure and i cant get into it.

Plz can someone help me ?

Er.. even when the battery is flat, you should still be able to open the lock on either the driver or passenger side?

The hydraulic pump is only responsible for the central locking - but when the battery is flat you can still unlock the doors.

Failing that, you gotta climb in through the boot! :)

Just found this in a post by corradovr6sc:

How to open a stuck hood without removing the grill

Lay down directly under the front of the hood and look up. You'll need a long screwdriver or a stiff thin rod. The cable mechanism connects to a metal rod with an L-shape bend where it engages the bullet-shaped latch on the hood. Look up and towards the inside of the fender to find it. It's a goldish cad-plated rod. What you're trying to do is to get your screwdriver behind that rod and pull out, away from the fender, and it will disengage from the hood latch. It won't damage anything and is easy to do in a pinch.

Might be an idea to get a key that works while you're trying to get the thing sorted!!!

Can't count how many times I've had a flat battery and needed to unlock the door with the key!

Yeah.. obviously the car has had the locks changed or something in the past, and you just get in and out using remote central locking and use the key for the ignition only?

As dr_mat said - best get them locks sorted out really ;)

If you take the door handles off it is possible to match the lock barrel to the key you have. You will need to go to the dealers and get acces to the lock tumblers. They are small metal tabs which are numbered one to five. You then take the barrels out of the door handles and look at the lock cylinder. there should be approx six tumblers per barrel. remove all of the existing tumblers ( dont loose the springs!) and fit the new ones one at a time with your key inserted. it is correct when it does not stick out at the top or bottom with the new tumbler fitted. Repeat until all six are fitted then rebuild the door handle and refit. A lot cheaper than buying a new door handle. The tumblers are pence each rather than £50+ for a handle.

I know this doesnt help you get in just now but Hennys tip will work a treat.

Riki.

Thnx for ur help peeps. Il have to get them sorted out. I might contact the previous owner to see if they have another key for the doors. I know its a long shot but you never know.

Thanks again.