Sign in to follow this  
n3p

Washing process on a budget...Clay + Autogglym = <3

Good morning chaps,

Seeming as it's my half day from work, I plan spend the afternoon trying to mint the exterior as much as I can, only with a limited budget. Went on some car cleaning website and filled a basket up with £65 worth of goods that i'd *really* want. However for that money I could get something far more worthy, such as working engine components :p

Therefore, I'd say that I don't plan to go over £25 but would stretch to £30, and due to the only downside of online shopping (delivery times..) i'll have to go and abuse halfrauds :(

So, what's the best polish, wax, shampoos to get? Reminder that halfords doesn't sell dodo juice IIRC :(. Oh, and for now I have a general car sponge :norty: The car is metallic green, so specific wax/polishes would be handy

url: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/categorydisplay_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_categoryId_33974_langId_-1_topCategoryId_33958_parentcategoryrn_33958_crumb_33958_topcategory_33958

Obviously I know that it won't look as good as the 'full works', but i'll save that job until after a respray 8)

Cheeeers :camp:

What I did on a budget:

Usual car soap

Clay bar (used weak car soap mixture as detailer/lubricant) - This makes a MASSIVE difference if you've never done it

Own brand T-Cut substitute for major scratches

Autoglym super resin polish all over - This stuff is really great for finishing the above and getting a good shine

A couple of layers of the most expensive turtlewax (in a tin) halfords had at the time

Car looks great :) Its about as good as I can get it without a proper machine polish.

halfords have a buy two get one free on auto glem products atm i got a litre of shampoo, 500ml of alloy cleaner and chamois leather clothes for just over £15. They had leather, upolstry and plastic care as well. I know auto glem isn't the best stuff but when your on a budget its not bad.

PS i already had a 500ml of the auto glem super resin polish and it is good stuff, I can also recommend the auto glem window polish

AG stuff seems to get a bit of a bad rep these days but I think it's just because it's popular. My Mrs and a couple of mates are into their detailing and really rate the Super Resin Polish, the interior shampoo and the Glass Polish.

Was8v is spot on with his list.

2 bucket method wash with a decent shampoo (Cheap ones rot the window rubbers and cause nasty runs down your car!)

Clay with lube

Super Resin Polish

Some form of wax, ideally the best you can afford right. Anything Carnuba is what you want!

If you can't asford a mit buy a couple of those yellow dusters and use them instead, just make sure you fold em up so the seam doesn't rub on the car. Oh and get 2 new buckets so you don't have grit left in em. B&Q do their nicely sized orange ones for about £2 each.

Nick

Thanks for the quick replies :D

So the AG super resin and the claybar will be definates...Is it advisable to use a shampoo with wax in it? (got some turtlewax stuff sitting on my shelf, could save ££?)

Not really as the Super Resin Polish will take it all off again! THat shampoo with wax in is normally prity good for quick washes though.

One product I bought for mine which I really rate for a quick shine up is called Wash N Wax or something. Basiclly you wash the car and don't dry it and then spray this stuff on and then chamois (SP) it off. Leaves a great shine for those times when you can't devote the time for a top notch finish.

Nick

best i can think of from halfrauds would be this list

auto glym shampoo

auto glym super resin polish

auto glym extra gloss protection (this is a sealent rather than wax)

megs quick clay kit (comes with 2 clay bars quick detailer and cleaner wax sample and microfibre cloth)

a wash mit and bucket

a pack of microfibre towels

prob would cost around £50 sounds a lot but you could spend a lot lot more i know i have !!!!

this would really be a good starting point you dont need to use a wax if your using AG extra gloss protection and this is a sealent and will offer longer protection than any wax sold in halfrauds, the super resin polish will mask most of the swirls as it has loads of fillers in it, the megs clay kit is really as good as any other mild clay you can buy .

good luck and hope your arms dont fall off after polishing !!

Thanks for the quick replies :D

So the AG super resin and the claybar will be definates...Is it advisable to use a shampoo with wax in it? (got some turtlewax stuff sitting on my shelf, could save ££?)

yeah, i deffo get a clay bar and super resin polish, halfords do a 3 for 2 offer on autoglym stuff, so if you get autogym wax, polish and shampoo you will have some money left for a couple of applicators and a decent buffing off cloth

i spent over £250 on cleaning stuff when i got into it, but now i have loads of stuff i never use :lol:

i only really use shampoo, foam and quick detailer now, got bored of endless layers of stuff :(

i went into my local halfords and bought 3 meguiars items, they charged me for all 3 at full price, then i said "hold on its 3 for 2 on all the cleaning stuff" so i got the meguiars at the 3 for 2 promotion.

sometimes it pays to be cheeky :lol:

I see a lot of people talking about traffic film remover and they spray it onto the car before washing it. Where can I get some of this as my wife's new white 1 series is covered in bugs etc and I reckon this stuff would help. Plus, we got a BMW care kit with the car that's got shampoo leather cleaner etc in it and it also has a paint sealant much like the autoglym topcoat sealant. Can I apply this after drying the car or should I polish it first (bearing in mind that the car is 2 weeks old)?

As said really, wash it with any old shampoo will do tbh if you are going to be giving it a good polish. Ideally without using a sponge though :( get a megs lambs wool mitt if you can stretch, its a great mitt, lasts a long time and is safe on the paint. And dry with some form of drying towel rather than a chamois if you dont have one already.

Clay the car if its not been done, you can get the Megs Clay Kit from halfords usually which isn't too expensive, that comes with the clay and the detailer spray which you use as a lubricant for the clay. The clay will then remove any grit, sap, tar etc from the paint and make it smoooooth ready for polishing. If you have some detailer left at the end of it, bonus as it has many uses.

Once clayed wash it again to remove the lube/detailer and any loosened grit etc. Then dry.

Then use the Super Resin Polish, which is underated imo, i still use it after machine polishing its such a great polish! This will lightly cut the paint but its main feature is its ability to 'fill in' swirls etc like an anti-wrinkle cream. Give it a couple of coats of this for a better finish, first starting with a liberal amount of polish applied quite quickly, apply to whole car leave for 5 mins or so and then buff off. Then do it again, this time with less polish but work it in more, leave again then buff off. For best results use some form of applicator to apply rather than a cloth as you use too much product with a cloth. You can get loads of cheapy applicators and cloths from Wilcos Carmaster, no need for names megs stuff really, i think i bought some microfibre applicators and a pack of microfibre cloths for about a fiver from my local Wilcos!!

Then as said, the best product to use after SRP is the Extra Gloss Protection which is an acrylic sealant and gives a great finish and durable protection. Do not use a cloth to apply this as its like baby oil to apply and you will just soak up all the product and use it far too quickly. Use a foam applicator of possible. No need for too much of it, just a quick squirt per panel really. Apply it to the WHOLE CAR and leave for ATLEAST 30 mins, an hour if possible to let it harden. Then buff it off.

The detailer spray you get with the clay can be used to splritz the applicators which stops too much product soaking in. It can be used to help buff off product, lightly mist your cloth and buff it off. Or you can just use it as a finisher when complete, simply spritz the panel and buff with clean cloth to remove any dust or left over polish/wax etc.

Happy sunday all,

Went to Halfords and bought the meguiars claybar set, Autoglym SRP, poo halfords car shampoo and a Mit. Due to being on a budget, I couldn't get the resin protection :( All in all it came to about £40. Oops!! The claybar set was £24 alone, so i deemed it as a 'must have'.

You guys weren't wrong about the claybar though, I didn't know my C was THAT green! Sooooo happy with the results ^__^! The only downside is that über blemishes and chips stick out like a sore thumb in some places :gag:

The Autoglym stuff is VERY good and does get overlooked sometimes with all these new products coming out. Took to mine with the Super Resin Polish and then the Extra Gloss Protection yesterday and am thrilled with how much red it's bought back out again.

Looks like you had really good results with yours too :) Reccommend the EGP though as it does help the effect of the polish stay for a lot longer - especially on red which will fade too quickly without it!

im sorry to say that stone chips are part of you corrados 17 years of road driving but i must say it looks nice and shiney

from your picture

where are you based as i might have some EGP you can have !!

im sorry to say that stone chips are part of you corrados 17 years of road driving but i must say it looks nice and shiney

from your picture

where are you based as i might have some EGP you can have !!

I guess stonechips are better than a bra! (imho, anyway - but maybe i'll change my mind once fresh paint is on ;) )

I'm in Croydon mate, probably too far to go get that stuff from you :( But thanks for the kind offer :). Yours is looking great from the avatar - I guess that's also down to the Autoglymness?

So there you have it - if you plan to make your C shiny on a budget, get clay + autoglym 8)

Banan0r if you want to pop over east some time I have some EGP you can use...

Looking good though! Didn't think it was that bad at the midnight cruise...

The Autoglym stuff is VERY good and does get overlooked sometimes with all these new products coming out. Took to mine with the Super Resin Polish and then the Extra Gloss Protection yesterday and am thrilled with how much red it's bought back out again.

!

i spent yesterday doing the same thing, never used the EGP before and am very impressed with it.

Banan0r if you want to pop over east some time I have some EGP you can use...

Looking good though! Didn't think it was that bad at the midnight cruise...

Wow, thanks for the offer mate - it's very kind of you, but I think that it would probably just be cheaper for me to go and buy a bottle :lol: . Maybe I should stop being such a tightarse and spend the extra £12. I felt well dodgy spending £40 alone just to wash the car! :lol:

sorry to say i only use autoglym SRP for behind the door handles

i use megs 83 and 80 at the moment and zaino z2 pro (zfxd) and z8 ontop using a rotary polisher and my megs 220 for smaller areas that i cant get to with the rotary !!

no worries about the egp

Looking fresh Nick, I got as far as clay barring mine yesterdays before the heavens opened and ruined all my hard work. Maybe tonight I might get back to finishing it off and waxing the beggar.

Know what you mean about stone chips though, I prefer mine dirty so you can't see them!

Looking fresh Nick, I got as far as clay barring mine yesterdays before the heavens opened and ruined all my hard work. Maybe tonight I might get back to finishing it off and waxing the beggar.

Know what you mean about stone chips though, I prefer mine dirty so you can't see them!

Cheers :cheers: . In keeping with the spirit of this thread, you're more than welcome to come down the road and take my SRP if needed 8)