Sign in to follow this  
Bolster

Alarm only for full closure recommendations

My C has an immobiliser that satisfies my insurance policy but has no alarm or remote locking. I want a cheap alarm that will give me remote full closure without the expense of replacing what I've already got.

Any recommendations?

"cheap" alarms will cause you no-end of electrical problems.

Get yourself a proper CAT1 system fitted for peace of mind & further insurance discounts.

As a guide - CAT1 systems usually start around £300 fully fitted.

and for the one alarm Company over here that's running a monopoly.......£500 for a Meta CAT 1 system. :mad:

and for the one alarm Company over here that's running a monopoly.......£500 for a Meta CAT 1 system. :mad:

Wow - what a rip-off.. :shock:

bolster not being rude mate, but i owuldnt be able to relax if my car didnt have a min. of a CAT 1 alarm in these days i think everyone with a decent car sould have one

2p's worth

Agreed Furki.. there are just too many scumbags out there, seemingly without any morals or consciences.

My Saxo was broken into within 2 weeks of buying it - I was totally gutted even though they didn't actually steal anything. But the peace of mind of having a quality alarm & immob fitted really helps. My car doesn't appear to have been touched since having that alarm put in.. now there is a possibility that I have just been lucky, but i'd like to think that the little clifford stickers on the window and the blinking red light on dash is enough to deter any little gypo from sticking a screwdriver through the locks of my car.

I have garaged parking at home and at work. If it gets nicked I'll use the insurance to buy another that has full closure! The theiving bar stewards can then fix up my brakes and suspension. :lol:

Tom, if you need an alarm ever. Get on a ferry, leave your car with me for the day and go to the Trafford Centre. I'll lend you a car and save you money!!

That goes for anyone in the Northwest that needs a CAT1.

Gavin

Definitely something I'll consider Gavin!

Only problem is that a return trip on the ferry is not going to give much change from £150. I already have a cat 2 immobiliser fitted (Meta again, surprisingly) and that was around £180 :x . Needed to get it fitted asap so I had a better choice of insurance companies - despite living on the IOM, a lot of places wouldn't quote without a cat 2 immob.

Would you rip out the Meta immob and fit a new system?

(Think this is still on-topic :))

Tom, which immobiliser is it exactly? I have a Meta M36/99T cat 1 on my Golf and have had them before. I really rate them for reliability. Anyway, I think you can have the immobiliser linked to the alarm so they work together.

You might get away with a 2 - 1 upgrade.

Your man there is defo taking the p*ss. I fit cat 1s for a little over 200 and cat2s for less than a oner.

http://www.metasystem.co.uk/

Is theft a real problem over there. Not like you can get off the island without someone seeing?

Maybe I should arrange a fitting holiday or something :lol:

Gavin

I had a Clifford Vitualkey Cat II immobiliser and the standard flakey Quantum alarm on my Corrado when I bought it.

Like you, I just wanted an alarm that would sound if a window broke or a door opened and that would rollup the windows when I hit the button.

Got a Cobra Mini-Modular alarm fitted for £160 a few months back, so far no probs. It comes with a 3 year warranty anyway.

Any alarm should be able to be adjusted to activate the Corrado's closure system by simply extending the locking signal a few seconds.

I had a Clifford Concept 300 fitted on my last car and it gave no end of bother. Continuous false alarms from cars driving past. :mad:

At the end of the day, as long as I've an alarm that makes a loud noise to wake me up and a good immobiliser to stop the thieving gits driving off I'm happy.

If they really want your motor they'll take it. Either by breaking into your house and taking your keys or by loading it onto the back of a truck :shock:

My Clifford is continuously false alarming and I have had enough. It's going in for a Toad Ai606 on Friday for well under £300 - VSIB approved place.