Sign in to follow this  
delfinis38

VR6 Rear Axle Removal / Exhaust Fitting.

Just bought an exhaust for the VR. It's a new origional Vee Dub one, so it has the mid section joined to the rear box. :( Fitting need the rear axle removed or dropped partially.

I'm in two minds what to do either do a proper job and remove the axle to fit it. which is my prefered method to keep the car origional.

Or get my mate to modify the exhaust by splitting it in two so it would be an easy fit. (it should be a decent job as my mate fabricates F1 Exhaust for a Living).

Just trying to weight my options up at the moment.

1) Anybody removed and fitted an orig exhaust system from a VR can offer me some advice ?

2) can anyone give me approx time effort it means to remove the rear axle, and what other jobs are recommended doing at the same time.

TIA

if your mate can flange the exhaust for you i would do that,it would save allot of time,you will need to disconect the brake pipes from the compensator and drop the axel down ect to fit it mate.

Assuming you have no issues with seized bolts etc... then you should be able to drop the rear axle in a couple of hours, maybe even less. Just give everyting a good squirt of +gas before you do, especially the hex bolts for the rear calipers.

Other things to think about...maybe some new rear axle bushes, a re-furb of the rear axle and possibly a new bias valve.

Re the latter, you may be forced to fit a new bias valve if the old one is rusted on.

Yeah its a good excuse to fit new rear axle bushes (which is a whole other world of pain).

If you drop the axle you will prob need another bias valve anyway as they are always almost impossible to disconnect.

Depends - if you just want it fixed then cut and join, but if your axle bushes and brake pipes need doing anyway then do it all in one job.

Theres nothing wrong with cutting and joining, its how aftermarket exhausts are fitted and how VW would do if they were to fit the exhaust.

Helped do this job on mine a couple of years ago, pretty sure we left the brake compensator in situ, undid the ABS wires and lowered the beam just enough to slot the exhaust in.

Took a couple of hours IIRC.

As usual the guy at VW should have found the "sleeve" part number and sold you that at the same time. There is a specific component that you use to re-join the two parts of the exhaust after cutting it. VW should be able to supply it.

And yeah, you should be able to lower the axle just enough to get the exhaust through without having to remove it completely if you don't want to cut it. (Fair enough, I didn't.)

thanks for all the comments. not sure on the best route to take at the moment.

will have a chat to VeeDud to day to see if they can supply a sleeve also a chat to me mate to see what mod he can do. Although I'm still toying with the idea to drop the rear axle.

Just been looking at the exhaust apparently there is a mark between the mid and rear section as a guideline to cut.... I can't see it anybody done it that can comment. is it in section A B or C :scratch:

TIA

zorst1.jpg

Id say its about 'B'. Definately not C and cant see it being A. Of course im going by the Supersprint back box and centre box ive just fitted. I cant imagine the OEM one being that different.

thanks for all the replies... well after looking at access underneath the car today and putting a measuring stick over different sections of the exhaust the most likely place for a join is A or C. definatly not B

the OD (outside Dia) of the exhaust at 'a' is 60mm tube, but it does vary over a length of 70mm between 58 - 60mm. i'm thinking of cutting the exhaust and using an exhaust sleeve for an R32 like this.....

3b14_2.JPG

has anyone used one before? it says it's for a 60mm dia pipe.... do you think it will take the slack up of the variations in diametre of exhaust pipe varying between 58-60mm or am i worring about nothing....

Other than exhaust compound anything else required after cutting to make a good seal.

TIA

bump anyone fitted an exhaust recenelty and managed to buy a suitable sleeve?

Anlso any verification on where to cut?

MY OEM exhaust is coming off to fit a magnex, but I want to be able to put the OE one back / sell on in future if I sell the car.

To answer your question.... not that i've done it yet. The logical place to cut 'n' shut is at section 'A'. It has a section of tube that is 75mm long with a constant dia of 60mm +/- 0.56 when when i put a mic across it. The sleeve should take this slack up. The rest of the pipe is not a constant diametre and has some flats in it. (you can also see if you look carefully VW cut lines in the pipe)

I ordered an exhaust sleeve from VW of diametre 60mm which had either a length of 90mm or 120mm... I cant remember. It will need some bench work to fit it.

They don't list it for a corrado but there is one listed for an R32 ! ebay have a selection of exhaust sleeves if you search for "exhaust sleeve"

Not fitted my new VAG exhaust yet.... the new one is wrapped up in the garage, waiting for the old one to fall off first.. I'm still looking for the first silencer "NEW" if anyone spots one... at a sensible price not VAG at £120.

hope this helps.

Okay... Thought I would update my post as I finally got round to fitting the new VAG exhaust system this weekend on the VR.

Bought myself a rather rubbish draper expert exhaust pipe cutter that just about cut through the old exhaust. :camp:

I cut the new VAG exhaust in the straight section nearest the back box right next the the rubber hanger and fitted the two sections of exhaust with an exhaust sleeve which i bought from ebay in the end (the clamps on the VAG sleeve's are spot welded so shortening the clamp was not an option).

For reference the length of the clamp/sleeve needs to be 70mm long. All exhaust sleeves come in lengths of 90mm or 120mm. The sleeve needs to be able to compensate for a variety of Dia from 57mm-60mm.

So I now have a new VAG exhaust system from the CAT back at a silly price :shrug: would of been cheaper to buy two magnex systems.. but it's the proper exhaust that i wanted. All be it that i was a bit lazy not to drop the beam. (I may have the system welded at the join in the future if i need to drop the beam).

Their's nowt really wrong with the old one that i chopped off. It's having the bar hanger on the mid section welded back on this week as three of the welds had gone. and having the seams tidyed up on the mid section as their through to the first skin of the exhaust. I also intend to have the cut i made between the mid and back box welded up again. So i have a spare for future.

Thanks for all your input into this thread :)

exhaust sleeve which i bought from ebay in the end

Do you have a link to the ebay item?

Cheers.

Yup... I bought one of these in a size 8 although a size 7 would work just as well.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exhaust-Pipe-Connector-Sleeve-Joiner-Connectors_W0QQitemZ130268603897QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item130268603897&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318 sorry can't do one of those short links.

If you look at the picture above of the VAG sleeve, the clamps are spot welded to the sleeve so you can't rotate the clamps or move them closer (without drilling one clamp through the spot weld). So it's not that easy to modify.. The ebay clamp sit's in a recess dimple so are fixed if you want them or you can nock them out of the dimple to move the clamp closer. I cut my clamp down to 70mm. which is just enough room for both clamps to sit next to each other with a 5 ish mm gap.

I'm still looking for the first silencer "NEW" if anyone spots one... at a sensible price not VAG at £120.

Did u get one of these mate? im planing off taking my cat off and putting a through pipe on thinking off losing this silencer too its only been on the car 2 month and hasnt done many miles. still got the old one in the shed so ill keep that and the cat for mot purposes. I would be willing to sell the silencer shouldn't have bought it really cost £116 i think from the steelers. PM me if your interested mate

Thanks for the offer.. But I bit the bullet like yourself and bought a new silencer from VW. I now have a complete new system from the cat back including nice shinny clamps :grin:

The old silencer was fine and not blowing but it had surface rust round the two ends and along the seem (might of lasted a few years) but thought might as well put a new one on so the jobs done (As i'm not a fan of lying under cars and VW don't have many left in stock - there were only 4 mid and back box's left in the UK when I initally enquired about mine).