Sign in to follow this  
g60karmann

turbo positioning

Looks like lag central to me! All that inlet pipe to fill with air when you open the throttle.... Not to mention that most of the exhaust gas velocity will have gone due to the drop in temperature out at the back.

Obviously makes good power though, just wonder what it'd be like when you opened the throttle.

Looks like lag central to me! All that inlet pipe to fill with air when you open the throttle.... Not to mention that most of the exhaust gas velocity will have gone due to the drop in temperature out at the back.

Obviously makes good power though, just wonder what it'd be like when you opened the throttle.

My thoughts exactly! Not to mention throttle response being pretty sheeite!

Also wouldnt want a small furry animal walking under the car after a spirited run, it would come out the other side as a fireball :shock: :lol:

It seems a bad move. Lag will be exagerated by colder exaust gas and long distance from engine to turbo. Also, on the cold side, long intercooler pipes will also create lag and pressure drops.

Road debris can be a problem.

Also turbo oil feed lines will be big. Oil pressure drops could be a problem. Ball bearing turbos CAN NOT be used because the oil in this type of turbos go back to engine by gravitation (because of the total oil pressure drop in ball bearings).

One final problem can be water cooling. One good thing about water cooled turbos is that when a hot engine is turned of, water flow will not stop because the water in the turbo will heat up and move upwards letting colder water in.

I was reading an article in PPC the other week, about a 205 turbo'd in this way and it goes against all normal turbo 'thinking'.....but, in the 205, there was next to zero turbo lag. The exhaust system will always be pressurised, so there is no need to build up the pressure in the system. Also the exhaust gases have cooled quite a lot by the time they reach the turbo, and thus they run more efficiently, and as the inducted charge goes from the the compressor back to the engine, underneath the car, the air passing by cools it on route and thus there is no need for an intercooler. Therefore no pressure drop there. Plus the air inducted into the turbo isn't going to be at under bonnet temperatures!

Makes perfect sense to me. :D

Imagine those bad boys on a 1.0l corsa with 4 exhausts, thats got to make at least 1000bhp as that would be 4 chargers on each capable of 250bhp x 4 = 1000bhp, with the small turbos there would also be no lag at all, Veyron eat your heart out.

umm...no lag,sorry but thats crap!

See, that's exactly what I thought when reading the article about he 205 in PPC, but if it wheel spins when going into 3rd, I'd think that that isn't the case. They did say there was next to no lag.

would the really long pipes under the car act like an intercooler with all that air whoosing past..?!?!

pb

yes, the air would help cool the pipes a little.

Also, on the cold side, long intercooler pipes will also create lag and pressure drops.

Thermodynamically, The pressure drops on a straight pipe are much much smaller than the pressure drops on bends. As a result, I would say the pressure drops in this 90% straight pipe system will be the same, if not less, than the pressure drops in an IC setup which twists and turns around the engine bay with a lot of 90 degree or gradient bends in it.

well in this set up bmw_m5_twin_turbo_7.jpg you can see a fair few 90 degree bends just at the back of the system and then you have the turbulance caused by one turbo's outlet joining onto the others. I know they are both heat wrapped but having the inlet pipe follow along the exhaust can't be good for inlet temps. This M5 also has an intercooler, I think this example has been poorly done, but I have heard of good examples on other older BMW's. It all seems a bit mad to me and until I drive one I will stick by my thoughts that it is a bad set up.

Remember with the beemers there is most of the time feck all room to add the turbochargers, i have seen some with the turbo in the passenger footwell

umm...no lag,sorry but thats crap!

See, that's exactly what I thought when reading the article about he 205 in PPC, but if it wheel spins when going into 3rd, I'd think that that isn't the case. They did say there was next to no lag.

sounds like he needs better traction... :lol:

A turbo imposes a huge restriction on exhaust flow where ever you put it, so mounting them at the back doesn't change anything. It's all about keeping the gas speed up, rather than temperature. Narrow bore exhaust and boost pipes do just that.

Ball Bearing turbos can be used, and have been used in this configuration with scavenger pumps :-)

You could even use variable pitch TDi turbos due to the lower temperatures involved and lag would be minimal.

As for lag. You'd be surprised. The only way to settle the argument, scientifically, is with a compressor wheel speed sensor....