Sign in to follow this  
boost monkey

22mm external drive socket for top mounts?

Hi team,

trying to fit my boge turbos, and the top brass plates (what's THE name for these? I can never remember) on the car currently have a dished section which is too narrow to get my 22mm drop-ring spanner into. Any suggestions?

Toad has filed flats into his socket to overcome this problem (i.e. being able to use a 6/7mm allen key to stop the damper rotating with the top nut) but if someone knows where I can get a more acute angle drop ring spanner, or a 22mm socket with external flats I would be greatly appreciative.

get some dog leg spanners, they did the trick for me! :D draper do a full set, they called deep offset spanners

i have a dropped head spanner, but the arm is 45degrees between head and bar and it catches on the cup section of the mount before I can get it over the 22mm nut. I will have a look at those spanners though! Cheers for the help.

most spark plug sockets have an external hex drive at the top, so all you should need is a spark plug socket, a spanner to fit it, and a long allen key to poke down through the hole that you would normally use for the ratchet, halfords do a long allen key with a chunky handle which is ideal for the job.

yeah I have a 7mm Sykes-Pickavant allen key which is about 6" long on both sides of the 'L', but the new dampers have a 6mm female allen in the top!

Why is it never easy?

I use a long socket, allen key and stilsons (sp) as they tighten their grip on the socket the more you force them to undo.

Also always worth adding the McPherson strut tools for the slotted nut to your tool kit. I used to tap the slotted nut round with a hammer and scredriver but using the correct tool you can get it so much tighter!

nick

yeah i'm not sure why my top plates are so gay. On an old audi of the same era we could easily get the ring spanner on with a bit of scaffold on the end and it was easy peasy! my plates seem really narrow :/

If you are really struggling, I could probably get my 'custom ring spanner' to you. A friend of mine works with your brother.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: that would be awesome. Andrew has just jetted off to Amsterdam for a week on business, but I prob won't try this until next week sometime anyways.

Is your friend called Graham and does he have 3 Audis? I hear he's a good guy.

good idea mate, i've found some replacement top plates now so i don't mind cutting these ones up.

bit annoyed they changed the allen key inset from 7mm to 6mm now though. Argh.

If you are really struggling, I could probably get my 'custom ring spanner' to you. A friend of mine works with your brother.

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy: that would be awesome. Andrew has just jetted off to Amsterdam for a week on business, but I prob won't try this until next week sometime anyways.

Is your friend called Graham and does he have 3 Audis? I hear he's a good guy.[/quote:2jlairqd]

No, its not Graham.

I'll try and get hold of the spanner. I'll be in touch.

Al