Sign in to follow this  
Kezbo

MK5 Calipers - 288mm brake conversion?

I have some mk5 golf front calipers which came off a car with 288mm brakes, can I use these for a 288mm brake conversion on my VR and if so what other parts (carriers discs etc) might I need?

Thanks for you help.

I'm not sure if anybody has tried the brakes from a Mk5 yet - most of them get pilfered from Mk3s or Mk4s.

Assuming that the callipers are the same as the Mk3 and Mk4, you'll want carriers and disks from a late-spec Mk3.

However, you're unlikely to find many places selling just the carriers without the callipers, so you might be better off just getting the whole setup from a Mk3.

If you take the callipers from a Mk4, the hubs have a different offset, so you'll need to get some 6mm (I think) spacers and longer carrier bolts to move the carrier in-line with the disk.

Whatever you do, you'll also need some adapter hoses that are Corrado screw-thread at the car end and Mk3 onwards banjo connection at the other.

Thanks for your response. Looks like I will have to line them up etc to see what happens. In a box in the garage somewhere I have a box with a couple of new carriers in that when I bought was told were for a mk3 vr6 but not sure how I would tell if they actually are, are there any codes or measurements I can use to identify them?

Cheers