Sign in to follow this  
mattnorgrove

VR6 DAMP misfire

With the wet weather we've been having, the VR has been playing up more and more.

Seems when the car is first started, that under load, the engine is only firing on 3 or 4 pots. Had a search, but only found results from peeps who have this problem PERMANENTLY. The thing with mine is, once the coolant/oil are up to temp the problem ceases. The problem has always been there when the engine is cold, its just never been this bad before all the wet we've been having

So anyone got any pointers on what could cause this cold/damp problem?

As always, thanks in advance.

i have the same, but only if i go through a big puddle, i find water gets on the top of coilpack and can see a spark jumping out of something.

So if the coilpack is the problem, would the problem stop once the engine is warm?

I'm thinking, its either that, HT Leads, Plugs or MAF?

Don't want to shell out changing them all though, just whatevers causing the problem...

Could it be anything else?

have you had a look in the dark?

use a water spray to spray on bits and keep an eye out for sparks, you can usually hear them too

Mines doing it too. Have put it down to condensation down the spark plug holes which drys out when the engine gets warm. Someone suggested a small spray of WD40 to act as a repellant but im not sure.

i sprayed some damp start on mine when it was sparking and forgot to turn engine off, and i ended up with a flame thrower and brown pants :lol:

i had this a few years back and basicly it the resin around the coil pack failing it only takes a tiny crack

and it will arch all over the place i dried mine out put more resin over it and it was ok again untill it rained or was damp and

then would miss fire again so ordered a new one and no more problems