Sign in to follow this  
snattrass

Headlight loom 15A blows 20A OK&1side brighter than other!

OK I have now replaced the old crappy headlight loom with one I made myself along the lines of that laid out by DavidWort in his excellent project notes.

BUT, after I finished it and turned on the main beam it blew the 15A fuse (and a replacement) I used from the battery to the relay. Further to fitting a 20A fuse it seems to be holding OK now, but I am concerned that it should need a 20A fuse when 15A should be adequate - can anyone help? I cant understand it! Could moisture be a factor (it was raining when I was fitting it)?

Also I noticed that since doing the job the passenger side dipped beam is brighter than the drivers side dipped beam! Is this because I have positioned the 2 twin output relays I have used (1 for main, 1 for dipped) on the passenger side right behind the passenger lights causing voltage drop to occur along the wires that tranverse the radiator to the drivers lights? Doesnt seem like there should be any appreciable difference over such a short distance ( I have used 30A rated wire). Or could it just be that the drivers headlight bulb is not so new and I just never noticed the difference before? There is a definite difference!

Makes me wonder whether I should have used 4 seperate relays instead of the 2 twin output relays I have used.

Cheers, Simon