Sign in to follow this  
krnau

air coming out of gas tank :-|

Another of my C's problems :mad2: comes when I take out the gas tank cap in order to fill it with petrol..... and it is then when lots of air come out of it, like when a coke can is opened for the first (and last :scratch:) time....

does anyone know how it can be solved?

thanks!

p.d. :norty:

I would have a look at the breather piping, its up inside the wheel arch.

Maybe the valve inside the piping has become stuck, so its not releasing pressure...

Neil.

I would have a look at the breather piping, its up inside the wheel arch.

Maybe the valve inside the piping has become stuck, so its not releasing pressure...

Neil.

coudl you place some kind of photo or picture?

I'd be interested in seeign a pic too please - mine does this, but I'd assumed it was normal as it's always done it :lol:

im pretty sure the breather pipe is the brown looking one that runs up to the filler neck.bit of a fiddly job as you have to drop the tank to get to it!

Ive had a few cars that did this, as if the pressure is being released when the cap is removed. Never really considered it a problem. Is it affecting performance at all?

Mine does this. My other half's old MX5 did it and so did my old 200SX. It never seemed to be a problem.

EDIT: Thinking about it it

Remember that in summer the Petrol coming out the underground tanks will be "cold" and will expand, thus pressurising the air above it... Also worth thinking about when filling it up on hot days is that if you "Brim" the tank it'll just pee unused petrol on the road as it expands...

Done this on most cars I have owned, never been an issue...

As far as I know it's usually the tank sucking in air, if it was blowing out and the fuel level was high or the car was on an angle the fuel would be forced out of the filler.

once saw this happen when someone I know tried to blow the dent out of their fuel tank with an air line, which worked really well, but he decided taking the fuel cap off was the best way to relieve the pressure, which caused a fountain of petrol to shoot out of the filler :lol:

My old MR2 used to create a vacuum and hiss when you took the cap off but it was meant to due to the design of the breather but my corrado or any of my mates various golf's, polo's ect have never done it.

make sure there is no blockage to the breather on the tank as they sometimes get blocked up with mud and crap.

Just out of interest you haven't removed the carbon cannister have you?