Sign in to follow this  
Cnut

Lowered springs on standard shocks?

Whats your thought on doing this? Reason I am asking is because my rado has had brand new vw springs and shocks fitted and it sits quite high because of it. It seems a bit of waste to chuck out perfectly good suspension...

I've just removed standard shocks and 40mm Eibach lowering springs and the ride was really good. I removed them for budget coilovers and I think i might regret it.

you do get what you pay for. Saying that, Supercharged runs new VR6 gas shocks and H&R OE springs. I've just fitted VR6 gas shocks to mine but it's yet to driven, or even put back on the ground.

imo, brand new good quality OE shock absorbers should be able to handle dropped springs. Bilstein make some shocks which are about £50 each and are designed for use with "sports" springs.

I might have to give this a go. What would the best springs be to use with standard shocks? I would sacrifice comfort over performance anyday. I'm looking at a nice 40mm drop but i'm thinking the rear might need 60s just so it sits even.

The Eibach set up i have was slightly hard but not unbearable, although the handling was excellent. I had no complaints with that set up, the only reason i am changing is to go lower :) I might even change back over the winter months if the coils aren't to my liking.

i put standard brand new shocks oem and lowered springs and the front was terrible

i ended up taken the new front shocks off and putting koni sport t/a on thats better.

Also worth a thought is that most standard type shocks have enormous tall bump stops limiting travel as soon as you fit lowering springs. If the bump stops are soft you may be ok, but if they are hard rubber cut them down accordingly or your car may just 'ride' the stops and not make the most of your chosen spring & shock set-up.

you do get what you pay for. Saying that, Supercharged runs new VR6 gas shocks and H&R OE springs. I've just fitted VR6 gas shocks to mine but it's yet to driven, or even put back on the ground.

That's a little misleading..

Supercharged does indeed use that set-up but you neglected to mention it is on a mk 4 130PD diesel engine conversion which is a lot heavier.

Right to put some of this to rest to an extent.

Standard suspension is pretty bloody good, but only if you use genuine stuff. You need to ensure that the spring/damper combination is matched or you will end up with a very choppy ride.

For instance, H&R 16v/G60 springs and Koni TA's are rubbish as a combo. The reason is that the 16v/G60 H&R springs are designed to be used with factory dampers. This is in direct contrast to the VR6 H&R springs which recommend the use of uprated/sports dampers.

Although saying all of that given the minor differences in the all up weight of Corrados and considering the spring/damper packages on the very late cars (N regish) were exactly the same regardless of engine type, coupled with the fact that an auto box and aircon adds around the weight difference between 4 cylinder and 6 cylinder cars you can run suspension designed for a VR6 on 4 cylinder model.

I am running Koni TAs and VR6 H&Rs on my valver, the ride and handling were excellent, although I intend to refurb the G60 with entirely factory stuff so I can get a good comparison.

Koni Ta and Eibach springs very sporty ride/handling but at the expense of comfort. If you have poor roads and or bumpy roads I wouldnt bother. Flat and slightly undulating ideal :D

VR, from personal experience of driving other peoples cars:

Koni TA + H&R VR Springs

Koni TA + PI Springs.

VR, from personal experience of driving other peoples cars:

Koni TA + H&R VR Springs

Koni TA + PI Springs.

Hi Yan

Were the H&R springs reasonably comfy as i am planning on swapping my Eibach ones for them.

Ta

Matt

Hi Matt,

Yes the H&Rs really seem to match well with Konis in terms of ride comfort and handling - from various people I have spoken to over the years the opinion seems to be that Eibachs whilst excellent in terms of handling give a very harsh ride.

Cheers!

Where can you buy shocks without springs? Or is it a case of buying a set of shocks and springs, then buying ANOTHER set of springs?

Gaz

You can buy Koni TA's anywhere as shock only

Hi Matt,

Yes the H&Rs really seem to match well with Konis in terms of ride comfort and handling - from various people I have spoken to over the years the opinion seems to be that Eibachs whilst excellent in terms of handling give a very harsh ride.

Cheers m8

Cant wait to get them on then!