jamin

Jamin's 'Ferrado' VR6

Yesterday I finally got time to start the housing/hub/brake rebuild I've been planning for months. Removing the housing assembly was actually relatively straight forward as all the nuts/bolts had been replaced earlier in the year when I had the wishbones and shocks replaced.

Here's what it started out like...

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSCN1672.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]

Most of the parts removed

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSCN1677.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]

Old versus new (the bearing in the old hub had a massive amount of play in it so I was rather happy that new ones were going on)

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSCN1678.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]

New housing/hub on

Corrado92.pdfDSCN1679.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]

All fitted and bled using an Eezibleed - great bit of kit and VERY easy to do.

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSCN1682.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSCN1684.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]

Finished!! Might happy with the results, am also glad I painted the wires black just to keep it all neat.

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSCN1686.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]DSCN1687.JPG[/attachment:ux8m0jd7]

car looking sweet mate i saw it parked outside burger king last w/e i think it was? :D

car looking sweet mate i saw it parked outside burger king last w/e i think it was? :D

Yes it was! but I was actually in Mothercare with the wife and boy (honest!)

thats where i was actually! had a quick look round it but started getting funny looks from passer bys. must have thought i was gonna try and nick it LOL

thats where i was actually! had a quick look round it but started getting funny looks from passer bys. must have thought i was gonna try and nick it LOL

Lofl! Glad you didn't! Hehe

were you in your C as I don't remember seeing another 'rado in the car park?

afraid not :( waiting for payday b4 i can afford mot after shelling out on new wheels and suspension :D

was in works van tdi caddy :)

Finally, finally, finally I have got the front brakes done, the other side required a new hardline as the union was completely siezed! Yesterday I put the colour-coded passat door handles & mechs on, they fit perfectly and are sooooo much smoother than the originals!!

x2uwplm8w8hioszm7g81.jpg

looking good, how are you finding the brakes?

They are starting to feel very good. I've been taking it easy as I've replaced the hoses and one hard line, just in case I get any leaks, but so far so good.

I used the eezi-bleed thing which appears to of worked very well, and required very little effort!

Both front bearings were very worn also so its all gotta help in improving the ride.

Loving that pic in you sig Zak!

Mate awesome looking car. 288 upgrade is coming up on my list of todos.

I have known exactly what way the brake discs that are drilled or grooved should face. Yours are facing forward but I have seen loads of car with them facing the other way :confused4:

I have known exactly what way the brake discs that are drilled or grooved should face. Yours are facing forward but I have seen loads of car with them facing the other way :confused4:

Sorry dood, I didn't see this post.

Thanks for the comments, all the hard graft is paying off. The new passat door handles are a massive improvement over the stock ones!

As for the brakes, yes the discs were the wrong way round originally. They had stickers on them saying 'left' and 'right' but that assumes the person that stuck them on knows what they are doing! I spoke to BD in the end as I was convinced they were wrong and they should 'trail' and not 'lead'. Turned out I was right, so I had to take the whole lot off again and swap them over :censored:

Thanks for the comments chaps!

This week my winter projects arrived, the first one being the upper inlet manifold, which I am going to paint/polish. This wasn't on my to do list, but I got it for what I consider a very good price, so didn't want to turn it down, even it is sits in the garage for a few months until I get round to it (which it probably will!)

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_0027s.jpg[/attachment:2bzn7d0c]

The second item being (which was next on my list) a rear axle that I am going to strip/re-condition and rebuild, just like I did at the front. Thanks to Stuey & Josh for getting this to me :) . I was originally going to just replace just the calipers etc, but have decided to do the rear bushes aswell, so I thought the best way to do this is to get hold of another axle, build it up, then just swap it over when ready.

DSC_0029s.jpg[/attachment:2bzn7d0c]

Now I just need to get hold of all the new parts!

Not really a Corrado related update, but me and the wife picked up a our new (its actually hers) daily/family car at the weekend, we think its rather nice so wanted to post it on here (it still a VW!)

Its a Golf Mk4 GTi 1.8T, its fitted with a few goodies, including a full genuine anni kit, BBS RC's, Miltek zorst and KW V2's! The previous owner was a fellow dubber so has looked after it rather well.

We wont be doing much to it (as its just how we want it) other than replace the horrible horrible walnut trim!

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfIMG_0189.jpg[/attachment:1nx86w3k]IMG_0191.jpg[/attachment:1nx86w3k]

Sorry dood, I didn't see this post.

Thanks for the comments, all the hard graft is paying off. The new passat door handles are a massive improvement over the stock ones!

As for the brakes, yes the discs were the wrong way round originally. They had stickers on them saying 'left' and 'right' but that assumes the person that stuck them on knows what they are doing! I spoke to BD in the end as I was convinced they were wrong and they should 'trail' and not 'lead'. Turned out I was right, so I had to take the whole lot off again and swap them over :censored:

It strange Ive seen alot of disc facing the opposite way at merc world in weybridge?

Just a quick Q about your wheels. Absolutely love them! what pcd are they and did you have any fitting issues? (clearance etc?)

No fitting issues at all, they fit the standard 5x100 hubs by way of a spacer/adapter that adjusts the offset, I reckon the actual PCD of the wheel is 5x112, but the adapter is supplied with the wheel to achieve the correct PCD of the hub and the correct offset. Hope that helps.

Well last week myself and 5 others (3 cars in total) went to the Nurburgring for my mate's stag do who is getting married in September. We travelled down to Dover early Monday morning, over to Dunkerque and then to the 'Ring. Well actually, I took a slight (worked about 2 hours more in the end) detour to Holland to pic up some new rims that I had found a month earlier, so lets talk about that first!

I've been looking for a set of these for a long time now, and couldn't believe it when I found a guy was selling a brand new (yes, in the box) set, although he was in Holland and wouldn't post them. But fate was on my side, and I collected them on the Monday we travelled down. They are BBS RC322's, nothing new I know, but they are 7.5"x16" 5x100 ET35 so perfect for the 'rado!! I am chuffed to bits about actually getting them, not least because of the road trip to get them! Whats more I paid a damn good price for them (there is one on ebay.de for 240 euros, I paid nowhere near that, in fact just over £100 a wheel).

Just need to get the tyres and some spacers to get the stance/poke right, but I cant wait!!

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC_0504s.jpg[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

Ok so on to the 'ring. We spent two days at the track, which only opens late afternoon for public use (for those that didn't know), but what an awesome 2 days we had. We spent the days visiting the new complex thats still not finished - the new museam is awesome, and we ended up seeing how fast we could change an F1 wheel, in two teams of three, we managed to get it down to 5.8 seconds, the record there was apparently 5.6, so we did well!

The track opened up around 6 ish each day, and I did a couple of laps on both days. Such a fantastic buzz driving round there, I didn't thrash the car (as learning the corners take alot of laps - even after spending countless evenings on the xbox!) but just went as hard as I thought I could and only got into 'trouble' a couple of times, thankfully.

I thought the track seemed shorter than driving it on Forza3, but what you really dont get the idea of is the gradient changes all the way round, there are lots of dips/hills, completely blind corners etc, but that just adds to the fun!

I found the hardest part was actually keeping an eye on cars coming from behind, as ze local germans with zer porkers really could fly round there!

Ok here are some pics from the few days over there:-

Driving to Dover (the VR sounded awesome in the tunnel just outside Dover, 4th gear, foot to the floor, what a noise!!)

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfDSC03020.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

Waiting for the ferry...

ETKA Corrado.pdfDSC03027.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

En route in Germany

Corrado92.pdfP1010245.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

At the hotel which was 20kms from the track, and right next to a petrol station! Handy!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfDSC_0089.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

All three cars, BMW M5 (which was awesome round there) and my cousins MK3 Golf 16v.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC_0091.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

Outside the new complex...

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC_0496.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

Parked up at one of the view points

DSC_0377.JPG[/attachment:1sge3xsf]

Track pics next!

Corrado conversion V2 (3).pdfP1010316.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]Book1.pdfP1010321.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP1010323.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]ETKA Corrado.pdfP1010324.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdfP1010325.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]Corrado92.pdfP1010327.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010378.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfP1010381.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfP1010382.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]P1010383.JPG[/attachment:216tafse]

Corrado92.pdfP1010508.JPG[/attachment:3q18tgar]

Love this pic!!

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfP1010509.JPG[/attachment:3q18tgar]

Finally some shots courtest of pistonspy.com

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf21-04-2010-TF155.jpg[/attachment:3q18tgar]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdf21-04-2010-TF156.jpg[/attachment:3q18tgar]21-04-2010-TF025.jpg[/attachment:3q18tgar]

Wow mate good find with those wheels! I really would like to do a trip down to the ring, probably will next year. Bet the vr was alot of fun round there!

Thanks for the wheel comments, if I get it right it should look good!

I used the speedlines as the car drives way better than the RH's, which are much heavier. I also fitted a 50mm front spoiler for more clearance on the Ferry, as well as more clearance for the BBS wheels, as the car will sit another 1" lower, and the front was already scraping on the driveway with the 90mm!

I cant recommend the 'ring enough, such an awesome experience, dont even think about it, do it!! I hope to go back next year, fingers crossed.