Sign in to follow this  
phil.16v

Steering

I have a problem with my steering in my 16v.The height ajustment only seems to have 2 positions up full or down round my knees. Should there be in between positions. Also once in either position there is alot of up and down play. Can anyone advise on how to fix and what parts are required

I've got a nasty feeling the adjustable steering stuff is all obselete. Most folks on here seem to change the coloumn for a fixed one out of a Polo.

Nick

There's plenty of adjustable steering columns for sale used. The reason no-one buys new is price: £530 + VAT...

You should be able to fix it - there's a pin that drops out underneath usually just need sticking back in. You might need to weld a small plate over the end of it's channel to keep it there.

You'll need to drop the lower plastic shroud to see the main hinge pin. Sounds like it may have slid half way out, which can make the adjustment go for a burton. Excessive play is usually down to that, or a worn lock housing bearing. If you remove the steering wheel (24mm socket), you can inspect said bearing's health visually and by wobbling the column shaft.

The fixed column comes from a Corrado, not a Polo.

I replaced my column for a fixed one years ago and it's been the most consistently good steer since owning the car. The height of the fixed column is the same as the middle setting of the adjustable.

The adjustable is a heavy, complex sprung ball / socket arrangement and when worn, you're buggered.

The fixed column parts cost about £70, inc the revised plastic lock shrouds.

I recommend the conversion unless you definitely want adjustment. I move the seat up and down instead :D

But the most expensive bit, the actual steering column itself is the same part from a Polo... at least that's where I got mine from! Just need to get the rest of the bits now.

You'll need to drop the lower plastic shroud to see the main hinge pin. Sounds like it may have slid half way out, which can make the adjustment go for a burton. Excessive play is usually down to that, or a worn lock housing bearing. If you remove the steering wheel (24mm socket), you can inspect said bearing's health visually and by wobbling the column shaft.

I replaced my column for a fixed one years ago and it's been the most consistently good steer since owning the car. The height of the fixed column is the same as the middle setting of the adjustable.

The adjustable is a heavy, complex sprung ball / socket arrangement and when worn, you're buggered.

The fixed column parts cost about £70, inc the revised plastic lock shrouds.

I recommend the conversion unless you definitely want adjustment. I move the seat up and down instead :D

Where these new parts or second hand and where did you get them?

There's plenty of adjustable steering columns for sale used. The reason no-one buys new is price: £530 + VAT...

You should be able to fix it - there's a pin that drops out underneath usually just need sticking back in. You might need to weld a small plate over the end of it's channel to keep it there.

Any pics as i am totally useless at these things? :nuts:

But the most expensive bit, the actual steering column itself is the same part from a Polo... at least that's where I got mine from! Just need to get the rest of the bits now.

I stand corrected!

Odd because I spent an hour at the dealer on ETKA getting listing the parts from an 8V Corrado and the column and tube were 555 part numbers, i.e Corrado. I guess the Polo must use it aswell then. You learn something new every day!

Well I was going on Reidy's advice here but he did get a Polo column for his and it went ok so it should be ok! :)

Corrado parts are 535 Kev, is that what you meant or have I missed something here? I have soooo many little bags of bits with 535 or 191 printed on them at the mo :nuts:

Got steering height adjustment sorted,it was the pin sitting right out,still a bit of up and down play but can live with it for the time being.

Thanks for all the advice much appreciated!!!