Sign in to follow this  
fla

Complete corrado conversion

Just looking at theh recent threads on Renshaws Corrado, plus going through some of the 24V thread has got me thinking about a complete swop of engine box & dash from various cars. There is the S4 corrado that has been posted up too.

My understanding is a whole raft of electrical issues which no-one likes to do themselves and tbh this scares me off too.

The mechanicals dont seem too bad, and it may be some fabrication issues with getting another dash to fit, but again somethig that would be quite manageable by someone who could do an engine swop.

Thoughts then on the following swops which seem to be underway in one form or another:

1. 'standard' 24V swop plus 4 motion dash

2. R32 swop plus dash

3. S4 swop plus dash

4. New TT swop plus dash (3.2) is this the same engine as the R32?

Would it not be *simpler* or quicker to modify a dash than to work around wiring issues?

Funds are an issue but prices will no doubt be dropping daily, so maybe this time next year you could pick up an R32 for teh price of a 24V now.

The remainder of the cabin could either be replaced with TT seats which are usually fairly cheap and not too hard to retro fit or could just be left as is.

As above, thoughts please.

I

I'm not keen on modifying the dash in a corrado, it works perfectly so why change it? You don't need to change it for an engine conversion so why bother?

ditto what kip said - also (it's personal choice) but i don't want to advertise the fact that my car has been modified - quite the opposite - i want it to appear as standard as possible to anyone who takes a glance.

as for the r32 engines - they seem to be retaining their prices quite well (i've been after one for a while), so i would be surprised to see a drop in prices unless you go for a high miler...

Ditto ditto :D

Thats why I wasnt really a fan of Jay's C. The reason I like the Corrado is because its a Corrado! If I wanted a S3, R32 etc etc I would have bought one of those. The beauty of C ownership for me is to keep improving the car but always working within the original parameters. Hence why I am mostly certainly keeping the std V6 which in my eyes is what makes the Corrado a great car. Say what you like but no other engine suits the Corrado as much as it does.

If you want more power better driveability why not just get a new bored out V6 12v with uprated internals and cams for same price as a conversion. That way no wiring hassle?

http://www.eurospecsport.com/products/e ... vr6-2v.htm

Ditto ditto :D

If you want more power better driveability why not just get a new bored out V6 12v with uprated internals and cams for same price as a conversion. That way no wiring hassle?

http://www.eurospecsport.com/products/e ... vr6-2v.htm

I'll take it you havent driven a 24v then. :D Theres no way I would go back to a VR and whats the chances of finding a new 12v as opposed to a 2nd hand 24v?

Dont like dash conversions at all and it was one of the things on Jays or Biggerneils (think thats right) car I didnt like. The Corrado has one of the best looking dash layouts as it is and works perfectly with the car.

Ive even removed the VR badges from mine and sticking 288's on so I can retain the Speedlines if need be. If its for a show car fill your boots but the dash hassle and cost can go into some better areas IMHO. Remeber you will have to put in all the heating matrix etc as well with a dash swap. Hell you retain your original clocks with the "basic" conversion.

I'll take it you havent driven a 24v then. :D Theres no way I would go back to a VR and whats the chances of finding a new 12v as opposed to a 2nd hand 24v?

Not in a Corrado but in a Golf yes. The 24v engines are IMO too smooth and dont suit the character of the Corrado. Loads of 12v engine transplants available. See the Eurospecsport link above for just one example of many.

Certainly not knocking other peoples projects just not my bag. I mean if you dont keep a 'classic' car original to its roots where does it end? You may as well fit a Corrado shell directly on to a Evo chassis or similar :D

Interesting comments there. For me te attraction of the Corrado are the looks and handling. Looks in the exterior though. ideally i would want a modern car in the C shell - having said that teh way A20Lee has developed his cabin is astounding to say the least. I am not a great fan of the C dash - i do like the way it wraps around te driver but everything else is not really to my liking. The body styling on the other hand is very, well, stylish and in some way timeless. Unlike one of the comments above i really appreciated Biggerbigbens and renshaws dashes a lot. something i would love to do, but probabaly could never do.

Hmmm much as I love the look of that S4 Corrado I could never do that to mine.

If money was no object yes I would modify my Corrado with a VR6T engine.

If I wanted a Audi S4 then that is what I would buy.

For what it would cost to put such a engine and drivetrain in my Corrado I could buy a mint E39 M5

Just going back to one of t origianl points, what would be the complexity in fitting a COMPLETE 24V or R32 conversion into the car, including dash? Looking at KADVR6's thread he seems to be having an inordinate amout of headache configuring his new engine to the existing ecu and dash functionality.

Have a look at coxylaads motor mate.

Complete MK4 dash clocks, climatronic, haldex, 24v motor, wiring harness etc etc.