Sign in to follow this  
nocrap

Oil Leakage

Howdy,

I've recently changed my sump gasket to try and stop an oil leak...i've now got a sump that is less covered in oil but i still have a leak somewhere, seemingly on the offside upper area of the sump/lower engine block.

I fear the the oil seal and/or crankshaft gasket could be gone, not expensive parts but will be a git of a job!

Any other suggestions or some information on changing the seal and gasket if you have done this before would be handy.

Thanks

are you sure its nit from the top of the oil cooler? there is a seal at the top that leaks. Thats where mine was, really awkward to see. Or what about one of the oil pressure sensors on the top of the cooler bracket?

what about the seal between the actual block and the oil filter bracket. Could it be from there? What i done was clean the engine bay, got 2 torches and i got under the car had a mate looking from the top with engine running and between the 2 of us traced the leak in a few minuites. I thought first about putting talc powder over where i thought it was leaking to see if that would show where it was leaking. Don't know if that will work though?

Just had to replace my oil pressure sender. The plastic had gone and I was losing about a litre a week through it!!!

Cheers guys, couple of good ideas there.

Gasket between block and filter bracket was changed at the same time as the other seal

i replaced the oil cooler seal last year too. But was leaking again not so long back. Might be worth checking or just replacing as its cheap and easy. I found that there was a bit of an old seal stuck on the bracket which had obviously failed. Like i say easy and cheap so worth a try. I also changed the high and low pressure sensors while i was at it. I didn't use genuine VAG but at under a tenner for both if they last a couple of years then fail who cares.

Right, i'm fairly sure that its crankshaft seal and / or gasket. anyone had any experiance of changing these?

Not looking promising for a DIY job then.....

Easy enough to do in situ but you will need to get the gearbox, flywheel etc off first.

Then its simply loosen the bolts that hold the sump on, whip the bolts off on the seal cover plate and fit a new cover plate (VAG dont supply the seal anymore).

Not hard but time consuming and getting the box off without ramp access is going to be no fun at all.