Sign in to follow this  
fla

VR serp belt squeak

As part of my reassembly i also replaed the serp belt. Its always squeaked a little from new, but this dies down once it has run for a few miles. With teh damp/bad wether its always noising int e mornings. Is this normal and will it settle down after a while or should i use a belt dressing on it?

talken powder mate,sprinkle it on while its running,that will sort it out.

never thought of this. would it have to be done often?

since day one my serp belt has been squeaking, the noise is coming from the crank pulley. i first thought it was a bearing noise it sounded very similar so i replaced the waterpump, pas pump and tensioner all for new. still the noise continued... i sprayed the alterntor pulley (on the ribbed surface) with wd40 (it was all i had at the time) and the constant squeak totally vanished briefly.

one thing i noticed was the pas pulley was spinning pissed so ive straightened it up as good as i can and tightened the 3 bolts up but it still has the minimalist of play if i rock it side to side, were talking a milimeter of play. the belt was still squeaking after this.

next course of action, as it has to be the belt rubbing on something was to get a 6 rib belt and find out which side was causing the problem, did that, and low n behold the squeak vanished completely........for one whole day. the next morning, it was back, not so bad but it is getting a little worse by the day.

am i missing something??? its driving me up the wall :help:

p.s. fla, sorry if it seems like im stealing your thread. :)

Could be the belt tensioner bearing?

Theres a how-to on replacing just the bearing on here somewhere.

VW will only sell you a complete tensioner £££ or vwspares.co.uk has them cheaper.

The tensioner bearing is common,but rumbles all the time on idle so would water pump and alternator etc,so it would not normaly squeek or make varied high pitched noises on idle.

All polly V belts come lubricated with a light dusting of powder from new,i dont know what powder this is but it has the texrutre and feeling of tulken powder or fullers earth powder.

If you use WD40 etc is softens the rubber in the belt,it turn when the belt is streatched over flat surfaces like the water pump pully it will make a noise like any rubber pulled over a hard polished surface,i would wash any remains of the wd40 off with brake cleaner etc before you sprinkle the magic powder on :camp:

Ive been in the trade for years now and this is a common fault, mainly when the engine is running and some plonker jet washes the engine including the belt,this also goes with weather conditions on the road that will degrade the belt.

Its works a treat!

Look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72925

P.S On all VR'S there should be a cover bolted to the chassis leg on the drivers underside to stop water getting from the road to belt......have you all got yours on?

The tensioner bearing is common,but rumbles all the time on idle so would water pump and alternator etc,so it would not normaly squeek or make varied high pitched noises on idle.

All polly V belts come lubricated with a light dusting of powder from new,i dont know what powder this is but it has the texrutre and feeling of tulken powder or fullers earth powder.

If you use WD40 etc is softens the rubber in the belt,it turn when the belt is streatched over flat surfaces like the water pump pully it will make a noise like any rubber pulled over a hard polished surface,i would wash any remains of the wd40 off with brake cleaner etc before you sprinkle the magic powder on :camp:

Ive been in the trade for years now and this is a common fault, mainly when the engine is running and some plonker jet washes the engine including the belt,this also goes with weather conditions on the road that will degrade the belt.

Its works a treat!

Look at this thread. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=72925

P.S On all VR'S there should be a cover bolted to the chassis leg on the drivers underside to stop water getting from the road to belt......have you all got yours on?

ill give it all a clean now. after reading that thread would you recommend a genuine vw belt? are the gsf ones really crap?

i need both the covers underneath, my corrado never came with the belt side one

ill give it all a clean now. after reading that thread would you recommend a genuine vw belt? are the gsf ones really crap?

i need both the covers underneath, my corrado never came with the belt side one

I got my last one from eurocraparts and it was a continental belt (same as from VW).

Use your existing belt first,then try the powder,see what happens mate. as for the cover its just the belt side you need,its not the bumper covers but the cover that bolts to the chassis leg.

Ive got exactly the same problem on mine,

Got the belt from GSF too, Drayco make.

I had a shorter single sided belt before i fitted my air con and that squealed to, now i fitted the new longer double sided belt from GSF again and the ****ing thing is still squeaking, ive done everything, talc, cleaned the belt, cleaned the water pump pulley up,

Ive resigned myself to the fact its a crap belt and im going to get a new one from VW....

I started a very similar thread, which Ive seen you have been referred to. The talcum powder worked for me, but it has already started to squeal again, within a week. Not a problem, just put more talc on every week

The continental belts from ecp are so much better than the dayco belts from gsf. If you can get a 7 rib 1360mm continental belt required for ac cars i would give that a go.

from my reciept the part number for a non ac vr is 202440405, it was 11.15 + vat from ecp

The contitech reference for non ac vr is 7PK1290 and for ac vr's it is 7DPK1360

details of the belts are here

http://www.contitech.de/pages/produkte/antriebsriemen/kfz-ersatz/produkt_multirib_en.html

if ecp dont to the contitech belts for ac equiped vrs you could always find a dealer and source the belt through there

Think mine is beginning to shut up now.

I ran a file over the water pump pulley while the engine was running to clean up the polished finish.

Its still a bit noisy but not as bad,

Hopefully the bloody thing wil shut up soon!,

Cant be sprinkling talc over the bay at 5.30am!!

Pete where as the reverse of the dayco belt is a smooth finish the reverse of the contitech belts have a textured finish so may well cure your squeek.

Pete where as the reverse of the dayco belt is a smooth finish the reverse of the contitech belts have a textured finish so may well cure your squeek.

Not gonna help me matey!,

Mine is a double sided belt, ie ribs on both sides for the aircon compressor!!.

I just think its something in the composition of the rubber that makes them squeal like bugery before they settle down.

Before i fitted the aircon i fitted a new single sided Dayco belt and it did exactly the same thing, ie squealed like a pig, ended up reverting back to the old belt.

I put it down as a one off, but obviously ive fitted two Dayco belts now and they both squeal!

i replaced my belt the other day for a genuine vw contitech belt in the hope that it would stop the constant squeak....it did. no noise at all now its bliss. i will forever stay clear of dayco and other cheap belts now

Where did you get it from buddy and how much was it?

i got it ordered in by one of my local garages, came to around £28 including VAT

Yes the king thing is still squeaking on start up on mine,

Ive tried everything, its done around 1000 miles now and its still making noise for the first few minutes when cold, i even used a load of Wurth belt dressing on it a couple of nights back and if anything it was worse!

Ive tried everything, its done around 1000 miles now and its still making noise for the first few minutes when cold, i even used a load of Wurth belt dressing on it a couple of nights back and if anything it was worse!

Are you using a genuine VW belt?

No,

If you read the thread you will see im using a Dayco belt!,

This is where the problem lies, although saying that ive run non OEM belts on lots of cars and never had a problem, seems the pulley set up on the VR is very very sensitive to belts....

No amount of cleaning,talc'ing and belt dressing will cure it.

No,

If you read the thread you will see im using a Dayco belt!,

This is where the problem lies, although saying that ive run non OEM belts on lots of cars and never had a problem, seems the pulley set up on the VR is very very sensitive to belts....

No amount of cleaning,talc'ing and belt dressing will cure it.

i wasted almost 30quid on belts trying to cure the squeak, i wish id just gone genuine from the beginning. i really didnt think it would make a difference, a belts a belt, how wrong i was

the only thing my old dayco belt is good for now is lining the bottom of my bin

Thing is the belt on the VR prior to me fiting the air con was a Gates belt, no squeaks, nothing so its not just genuine belts that run silently!.

Its just bad luck with the Dayco belts and to be fair they look to be of good quality they just dont like the Vr pulley set up i guess.