Sign in to follow this  
Toad

Single upper timing chain - Late VR?

Not sure I can answer too many of your questions, maybe even pose some more, but you say your's was one of the last VR6s, when was it built?

I believe from various stickers I found in it, she was built in Novermber 95 (registered Jan 96)

But that would mean it was built five months after they stopped building Corrados?

I thought it was November they stopped production? Have I made a flange of myself? and not for the first time, lol!

Have I made a flange of myself?

Possibly :grin:

I've always been under the impression it was end of May, early June 95. In fact I bought my first one (Pearl Blue 16V just like yours and I wish I could buy it back from whoever has it now!) in November 95 and I knew at the time that they had already ended production.

Of course none of this answers the original question about the cam chain does it? That one's easy, somebody at some time slipped in a Golf motor!

In 1997 from engine number 217,001 they went to the singlex upper chain - it is possible that you have a got a 2.9 engine from the factory like this, but they are pretty rare as they were only fitted to VR6 syncro passats and Golfs at this time (Corrado's long being out of production)

I've got the day off, so I popped back got the VIn no, and also got a dialog report from VAG.

I was wrong on the build date. I'd just made an assumption on parts I'd found, but having looked on ETKA for the dates I've found out the truth, the VIN no is 50SK003932 which falls into the last few months of production.

31/05/95 50-S-003773

30/06/95 50-S-004043

31/07/95 50-S-010000 - I guess they didn't knock 5957 cars up in July. Anyone know what the last VIN no. was?

Anyway, the Dialog report is fairly inconclusive. The car was registered in January 96, and had some warranty work done to the engine in October 96, It got something done in 97 "Non Factory component" and a little work in 2003 and 2005 amongst the typical services.

Guess I'll just have to hunt the previous owner down.

Guess I'll just have to hunt the previous owner down.

Sounds like a plan! Plus the fact you got the car from the garage up the road it shouldnt be to hard to track em down :lol: I have a good feeling that you only need that chain guide and all will be well! Top news mate 8)

I've actually got his name/address from the V5 etc, but he's either ex directory, dead or moved out of Hampshire. :(

I think you should turn up on his doorstep, introduce yourself and explain the finer points of Seagulling (but then I have been drinking at work and maybe should not be posting, let alone considering emailing my boss regarding a raise....)

:Lol:

Right. Dom came down today with a sack full of goodness for me, Took the end cover off, removed the bits of guide (1 bit has ended up in the sump or stuck part way down) and tried to fit the new guide.

Sadly the guide was changed in 1998, I have a 1997/98 guide, the engine is probably later than April 2001 judging by some casting marks, therefore the guide wouldn't fit....

I'll now be getting another guide from VW to try this week. Bit frustrated with it now. The timing all looks ok judging by setting it up tonight ready for putting it back together. I suppose that is one good thing.