Sign in to follow this  
CaiosG60 PWR

So Gutted!

Had my car running absoultly mint after some modding by g-werks and Pitstop.

But I've gone and made a mess of it. I ran out of petrol yesterday and had to put shit petrol in from the nearest garage.(I walked) God know what ron it was. It ran fine but pinked (shit fuel). Put £15 of optimax in it today. Its now really hesitating past 3500 to 4500. If I turn it off it starts then wont run and stalls, it will eventualy start again and run. What a *****!

I've left it to cool, so I can check the oil and water but they should be fine. Checked all the electric conections pusing them etc. Also it revs fine in in neutral.

If it doesnt sort it self out tomorow. Is there somebody in my area Huddersfield who can come round and have a look. Maybe the timing needs seting again after puting such awful fuel in it?

Surely the petrol is fed from the bottom of the tank though Dazzy? Could have been water though, as you say.

Been out to have play around with it. Water and oil was okay, duu! Tried starting it turning it off and starting it. The fuel pump is making some weird noises when I put the ignition on.

Could it be that the new high presure fuel regulator and the running out of petrol have combined together and killed my fuel pump?

What are the symptons of a knackered fuel pump?

What are the symptons of a knackered fuel pump?

Weird noises and lack of fuel being pumped, usually accompanied by a badly or non running engine... :roll: :wink:

I don't think that the pressure regulator could have damaged the pump, and you're unlucky if running out of fuel has damaged the pump 'cos the filter's there to stop that... HOWEVER, running it down to empty could have blocked the fuel filter with crud outta the tank causing the pump to overwork which is the noise you can hear. Get a new fuel filter and try it then...

That's what my bet would be anyway, and the filter would need changing if you have knackered the pump anyway so it's not like you'd be doing something you don't need to... 8) Try that first and see what happens...

Cheers Henny

I'm going for a run on the motorway! Hopefully that will sort it out!

The filter on the outside of the tank isnt that old either bugger. Do you mean a filter inside the tank?

Been for a spin on the motorway, Huddersfield to Leeds and back. Put another £15 of optimax in Leeds. But its got worse. Dam it! :(

So is everybody pritty sure that the best cause of action for me is to go and get a new fuel filter fitted?

I think there about £10 then £25 to £35 for fitting. Does that sound right? Or is it a really easy job that I could do myself?

:lol:

Dunno how easy they are to do on a MKII G60 as I never had one! :roll: I'd guess that most garages should be able to do one in a few minutes as they are a disposable service part that should be changed reasonably regularly... I'd bet I could change it, but then I'm building and fitting a new engine to my C, so if a fuel filter beat me on a MKII, I'd be well stuffed with the 'rado! :? :lol:

There's normally 2 filters, one at the bottom of the tank which isn't exactly a servicable item, and one just before the fuel pump which IS the servicable one... Has the MKII G60 got a plastic fuel tank? It may not have the inner tank filter if it is as VW may have assumed that 'cos it's plastic, it ain't gonna rust so they won't need it... :?

Good luck anyway with it, I'm sure you'll get it sorted soon... 8)

you could pop up to me and we could check the timing aiithough i would expect it to be ok.i had a similar prob with my golf gti 8v(pb), the garage had put lead replacement in to the super unleaded tank, but it sorted it's self out after a while running it.

The fuel filter underneath is pretty easy to change. Get yourself a genuine filter and two new fuel clips. Jack the car up and at the rear offside you will see the filter. It is clamped in place in a plastic housing which also houses the main fuel pump. It should be a 10 mm nut and bolt clamping this together but these can get a little rusty. Lots off wd40 and care taking it off should do the trick. If you break the clamp you will need the full housing ( around £40) Once the nut and bolt are undone clamp the hoses either side of the filter, prize off the old clips and bin them. They should only be used once. Fit the new filter and make sure its in the correct direction. There is an arrow on the filter. Put the new clips on the hoses and rebuild. I think some of the later G60s had the main pump integtated into the tank. Its easy to get to though. Lift the boot carpet, remove the screws from the black circular hatch. You will now have access to the tank unit. Unplug the wiring and remove the two fuel clips. One is bigger than the other so you cant get them mixed up. Using a screw driver and a hammer gently tap in an anticlockwise direction the locking collar on the sender. Once removed lift off the tank unit. There will be a large pump integrated in a resevoir on the bottom of the tank. Lift this out but watch for the fuel that will pish out the bottom of it. On the bottom of this there is a very fine nylon gauze which acts as a filter . You have two options either do away with it ( cut it out) or clean it. your call but i have cut these away on mark threes with similar faults and it cured the problem. I have come across both of these set ups on G60s so it could be either of them. It definaitley sounds like a fuel problem anyway so i would be having a look. I hope this helps you out.

Riki.

20vturbo if you could have a look at it for me, that would be great! I've just spent over a grand on it and dont have any money left to take it to a garage to get it sorted. (I can also get a peak at your motor, Bonus!)

If you have a drive of it and compare it with how your 8v felt that would be a great help. My first thought was that it would sort itself out but I have tryied driveing to Leeds and back. That didnt work, I canned it loads as well!

Henny I've got the plastic tank and filler neck as one, on my car. I think the setup is exactly the same as the one on the corrado. Sorry got mixed up before because I though all injection VW's had an in tank filter. Fuel filter is near back right wheel, big coke can sort of thing with dirrectional arrows on it.

20v turbo When your free to have a gander give me a bell on 07779082890, I'm a student so time of day/night doesnt matter! :lol:

Cheers Rick Think I have the second setup you mentioned. There is a filter on the outside of the tank, big silver thing. But its there on its own no pump atached to it. If I lift my back seat there is a round plastic cover which is how to get into the tank how you describe it above. I'll double check this tomorrow. Get my hand dirty and have fish around in my tank! :lol:

I hope I can sort it on the DIY! :?

there are quirte a few huds peeps about.

i could always pop round and have a look next weekend as im over there stayin' at a mates in birkby. i was a tax dodger in huds myself.

Student with a G60, life just aint fair. :mad:

especially a student with a g60 and a grand to spare to spend on the engine!!!!

GazzaG60 you went to uni here too, small world, eh?

RANT!

"The rest of you can sod off! :lol: I've worked last year (more than full time) at a games developer on there art team. Thats when I bought the car! While at uni I have always do loads of hours at a bar aswell. I've just spent my entire student loan for next term on my car! If theres still people who carnt understand how a student runs a G60 and they work. The anwser is that there shit with money! :lol: (Id prefer advice on my cars problem not my profesion/lifestyle) :lol: "

RANT OVER :p

i started there in 1995.

i liked in almondbury for a while. then moved to storthes hall "holiday" camp

i visit huds at least once a month for a piss up. what bar u work in.

I worked in Revolution. Go a few weeks off at the moment to catch up on uni work. If your about this weekend I wouldnt mind checking out your motor. 65mm and red injectors right? My charger internals where deemed not quite good enough for a 65mm pully, gutted. Theres other ways of getting the power though! :lol: Have you still got your old G60 injectors? I have a mate who wants some for his G40. I lived in Storthes Hall for a year too, it was terrible, to far from town for me!

I have changed the fuel filter today and put a hole bottle of injector cleaner in with about £7 of optimax.

Its was running better but not perfect. I thought I had sorted it. Put some more fuel in, drove back to Huddersfield from Leeds. When I got to Huddersfield it felt almost as bad again! :(

I'm thinking that a new fuel filter will have initialy given less resistance to the fuel pump. But as it beds in the resistance is back to normal. ?????????

I didnt clean the intank filter. Once I got into the tank the pipes atached to the fuel pump had clips on them that I have never seen before. So I left them.

So it could be intank fuel filter, fuel pump, blocked injector or fuel pressure regulator???

Is the fuel pump really buzzing when it is running? If it is i think thats where the problem may lie. The fuel filter doesnt bed in. You have maybe disturbed some dirt in the pump or you could have water in your fuel. If the injector was blocked you would have a noticable misfire similar to a plug going down. It would be lumpy on idle. The regulator is really only a ball working against a spring so that is unlikely to fail. The vacuum pipes going to it are prone to perishing with heat so that could be something. Im not sure how that would afect the running if the pipe was leaking.I am trying to think what else may give you the faults.

It could of course not be fuel altogether. My friends G60 had the lower crank pulley work loose. It eventually jumped a tooth on the belt and ran really flat as a result. He was really lucky not to blow the engine. Check the double hex 19mm on the crank pulley just in case !

I cant think of anything else but let me know how you get on.