Sign in to follow this  
AB

random smoke from a vr

as the tittle says its defo blue smoke which worries me :confused4: , it only does it when warm, if i boot the car and load it up i get no smoke, if i drive gentle i get no smoke if i coast up to a junction pull away hard or softly i get one big puff of blue about 25% of the junctions then its gone. is this crank case pressure building up or do you think i have another problem thanks :help:

no it does not do that at all need to drive it and get it well up to running temp, it does not missfire or run ruff at all thats why i was wondering if it was breathing heavy into the inlet???

Piston rings?

Oil would be thicker from start up so may not get passed the rings. Then when the oil is up to temp its viscosity is increased and can now pass the rings? Though, the stem valve seals being shot would explain the smoke on over run.. not the piston rings.

anyone else got any ideas please :shrug:

yeah, my friend had a similar problem to yours but had blue smoke on start-up.

Most probably the valve stem seals as mentioned, but he tried some 10/50w (thicker oil he was on 10/40w) Morris competition oil (http://www.morrislubricants.co.uk) and it stop smoking completely. Worth a try.

Ahh, same as I had. Im afriad to say mine was rings and oval bores. Take the plugs out and see what there all like. If there heavily oiled on No1 & 6 cyl then you might have the same then get a hot and cold compression test done. This will tell you if it the bores.

The reason I know it wasnt my head was a I had a newly rebuilt head.

Doesnt sound too bad though and it doesnt take a lot of oil to make smoke. Monitor how much your loosing and do a search under my username in this section to see my post with plug photos.

ah bollards thats not good. will have a look tmorrow.

thanks for your help guys