Sign in to follow this  
joby

Any Tips for brighter headlights

There is a wiring loom that comes with the bulbs, one end connects to each of the bulbs which goes to a central realy unit, and then there are two wires, one going to each of the ballast boxes. Fasten the ballasts first, fix the relay somewhere secure and protected and then connect all the respective wires after the bulbs have been installed into the headlamps, job done. There is no splicing or cutting and rejoining of wires needed.

What is the light dispersion like? I have fitted an uprated loom to mine and whilst the light is brighter the throw is poor towards the side of the road especailly if you are turning.

You don't NEED to have an uprated loom fitted when using HID's, but you can still run it. Here is a couple of HID threads, some showing pics of kit and light output once fitted. I think the general consensus is they work MUCH better with projector style headlamps or clear front lenses. Apparently, some guy from a company that was selling HID kits at one of the shows suggested that the reflector in front of the normal bulb in the housing should be removed when using some HID kits as it will mess the pattern up

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57260&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hid

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72466&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=HID&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60563&p=715836&hilit=hid#p715836

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56676&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hi

Oh yes, and you do need to make a hole in the rear bulb cap with a drill etc to let the wiring through etc. For standard Corrado headlights bulb-type is H4, H7s are only for Inpro / projector-type installs.

well, swapping the bulbs to brighter higher light output ones like the Phillips is pretty easy, but the voltage drop through the original VW loom is so much that relaying up standard bulbs helps no end, so both relayed (at least dip beam) and the better bulbs together gives you even more improvement.

Using relays is all about the attention to installation, the better you protect the relays and connectors the longer they will last, I fitted my self built relay loom over 8 years ago, installed the relays in a protective box and everything is like the day I fitted it.

self-tap a relay to the inner wing and leave everything exposed and you're asking for trouble (as soon as it rains)

this is now what i am planning to do but for the headlights, main beams and fogs. relaying them all in and protecting it in a box bolted somewhere dry!!

I have angel-eyes fitted and they seem brighter than standard rado lights.

Wouldn't mind a look at these first hand if at all possible?

Found Angel Eyes on Venom Motorsport. Seems these ones are good for either left or right hand drive. If the uprated bulbs I want to put in don't improve night vision, it may mean a complete upgrade of the lights themselves.

Kev

http://www.venommotorsport.com/product_details.php?id=2911&manufacturer=Inpro&category=Lighting

i have a spare relay and wiring for the dipped beam that i want to use for the full beam (which is dire atm :lol: ) Can anyone send me the wiring setup for the full beam? TIA