Sign in to follow this  
Fat Tony

BP ultimate

Is Optimax good on (modded) G60's?

Pondering trying it out when its time for the next fill up :)

Hell yes... ;) 8) Fill'er up matey! find out what a difference it does make! :)

OK... lets think that it is really 100 RON :idea:

So we can advance the timing i little bit more! :D

Don´t you guys then have problems with the MFA showing fuel consumption? :?:

I usually use 95 RON, but when i put some of the 98 RON i advanced a little more the timing without pinging/knocking, i got more power (quicker of the line!) :) but the MFA shows no fuel consumption!

So i retarded timing again, and there it goes! The MFA is now working fine!

What does the distribuitor advance has to do with the MFA readings? :?:

BP ultimate is not quite up to the quality of Optimax. You can set a G60 up to the limit of the point that it odes not 'pink' on Optimax and then got fill it up with BP ultimate and the bugger pinks and you have to retard ignition timing. Our Datalogger indicates pinking earlier on BP ultimate than on optimax. Ultimate is just rebranded 97RON fuel , Optimax seems to be a little more technically advanced athough you can get poor batches of optimax as it uses a magnesium catalyst as it effective octane booster so tends to 'go off' as it is unstable. If you fill up at a petrol station that does not have a quick turn around of optimax fuel it may be a little less potent if it is old fuel.

The ASA have made Shell remove some of it's claims about optimax like saying "best performance unleaded petrol"

Report Below

ASA wrote:

1. The complainants challengedwhether Shell Optimax gave you an extra burst of power just when you needed it.

One complainant:

2. challenged whether Shell Optimax was the "best performance unleaded" petrol;

3. challenged whether Shell Optimax's detergent action would loosen and dissolve particles from the engine's valves and

4. challenged whether the diagram implied the advertisers' fuel alone would enable a car to overtake ahead of a car not using Shell Optimax, because performance depended also on the engine capacity, gear ratios and vehicle loading.

5. objected that the diagram and some of the claims could encourage inexperienced drivers to believe the advertisers' fuel would make overtaking safer.

Codes Section: 3.1, 7.1, 48.2, 48.3, 48.4, 48.8 (Ed 10)

Adjudication:

1. Complaints upheld

The advertisers said much research had gone into the development of Optimax. They explained that detailed research on fuel technology for motorsport had enabled their scientists to gain a unique understanding of how power could be delivered instantly to the engine from the fuel, as demanded by racing cars. The advertisers stated that their scientists had used their knowledge to develop Shell Optimax, which was designed to give the same benefit to road cars. The advertisers said Shell Optimax had been developed to address three key problems associated with the delivery of fuel to engines: the deposits left on and around the inlet valve, slow fuel vaporisation and wrong fuel quality, all of which automatically reduced the power and performance of the engine. They maintained that the new fuel formulation had been demonstrated to increase the performance of cars in tests on acceleration, power benefit and engine responsiveness, and supported that with evidence.

The Authority obtained expert advice. It understood that the evidence supplied by the advertisers showed that changing to a higher octane fuel could create a small but variable increase in the power and acceleration in some, but not all, cars. The Authority considered that the claims implied that changing to Optimax from other unleaded fuel would significantly and immediately increase the power output of any car under rapid acceleration. Because the advertisers had not shown with documentary evidence that Shell Optimax would affect all cars by increasing their power and acceleration rates, the Authority considered the claim misleading. It welcomed the advertisers' assurance that they would amend future advertisements to avoid the implication that the claim applied to all cars.

2. Complaint upheld

The advertisers believed that Shell Optimax was the "best performance unleaded" because it had the highest specified octane level in the UK and the most effective deposit-removing capacity of any fuel in the UK. They provided several tests to support their claims. The Authority obtained expert advice. It considered that the claim "best performance unleaded" suggested that the advertisers' fuel produced better performance results than all other unleaded fuels. Because the advertisers did not provide sufficient evidence that compared the performance of vehicles using Optimax with those using competitive super unleaded commercial petrol, the Authority considered that the advertisers had not shown that Optimax produced better results than all other unleaded fuels, the Authority told the advertisers to delete the claim until they could substantiate it.

3. Complaint not upheld

The advertisers maintained that Optimax was formulated with an effective detergent additive, which removed deposits from the engine to improve performance, and that, because the formulation did not contain large amounts of the materials that formed deposits, Optimax kept the engine clean. The advertisers provided several tests to support the claim. The Authority sought expert advice. It understood that the evidence supplied showed that the detergent additive removed a significant proportion of deposits on the inlet valve of cars when driven for several thousand kilometres using Optimax. It considered that the advertisers had substantiated the claim "If deposits have already formed, Shell Optimax's detergent action will loosen and dissolve the particles, removing them from the valves, so the more you use Shell Optimax the cleaner your engine becomes" and did not uphold the complaint.

4. Complaint upheld

The advertisers said the diagram pictured the performance benefits achieved by a car when using Shell Optimax compared with an identical car using normal unleaded petrol. They maintained that Optimax enabled engines to perform more effectively because of its intrinsic cleanliness, effective cleaning ability and its anti-corrosion package. They provided evidence to support the performance claims. The Authority sought expert advice. It understood that the evidence supplied by the advertisers had proved the increased acceleration claims for some, but not all, cars. The Authority considered that the diagram, which compared the performance of two identical cars using different fuels, implied that using Shell Optimax alone would enable a car to overtake faster than one using normal unleaded fuel. Furthermore, it was concerned that the claims "You'll feel the difference straight away" and "it improves your vehicle's responsiveness from the moment you start using it" suggested that the engine performance of all cars would be immediately improved by using Optimax instead of normal unleaded fuel. The Authority considered that the diagram, in conjunction with the claims, was likely to mislead readers to think that Optimax would improve performance and acceleration of all cars. It welcomed the advertisers' decision to withdraw the leaflets and amend future advertisements by deleting the diagram and supporting claims from future advertisements.

5. Complaint upheld

The advertisers maintained that the diagram and wording of the leaflet was clear and related to the benefits of using Optimax. They pointed out that they had made no statement or claim about improving the driving performance of inexperienced drivers. The Authority was concerned that the claim "crucially, it can help you to manoeuvre safely by delivering a smooth burst of power, just when you need it most" implied merely that by using Optimax it was possible to drive more safely. It considered that the advertisement was likely to encourage all drivers, both experienced and inexperienced, to think they could overtake more safely when using Shell Optimax. The Authority welcomed the advertisers' decision to withdraw the leaflets and amend future advertisements by deleting the claim ""crucially, it can help you to manoeuvre safely" before advertising again.

I tried BP Ultimate on wkend for the first time in my little 1.8 16v, felt abit better, will be trying shell tonite & then decide which of the two work better!

Hmmm, coming in to this thread a bit late methinks, filled up with BP Ultimate yesterday, and I have to say , my 16v seems to be moving soooo much better since! Trouble is I keep booting it even more than usual :lol: . Never noticed a real improvement using Optimax, but can definately notice an effect with the Ultimate, ......and I like it!

ASA wrote:

1. The complainants challengedwhether Shell Optimax gave you an extra burst of power just when you needed it.

3. challenged whether Shell Optimax's detergent action would loosen and dissolve particles from the engine's valves

Yep, what I've thought all along, but there is definitely something about Optimax that makes the engine feel better. An upper cylinder lubricant is obviously responsible for the smoother feel you get with Optimax and it definitely does have a higher octane, taking some load of the Knock sensors but there's no way it provides the kind of extra power Shell imply.

K

Ive used it twice and found it be really good. Cant get it where i live, only pick a tank up when passing through Basingstoke. Personally im not sure about Opitmax car seems a little stodgy when using it. Having said that ive used there Diesel too in the other car, and that too makes the car perform rather poorly. Makes me wonder if the garages storage isnt up to scratch. Sadly no other garages selling quality juice round my part of the world.