Sign in to follow this  
vwdeviant

Strange ABS issue

Took the car out tonight after changing discs/pads at the weekend. Also while the discs were off we "adjusted" a kink in the N/S ABS "rotor" (almost touched the sensor) which seemed to cure my intermittant ABS fault.

Problem is that the ABS pump seems to be firing even when my foot's not on the pedal, can be felt juddering when just touching the pedal, also when I am braking the pump kicks in as the car slows down to a stop causing the brakes to come on full... and jerking the car to a stop (like it thinks it's doing an emergancy stop from 5mph!)

A bit stuck and don't have VAG-COM to try and diagnose it...

Any ideas? :shrug:

if the rotors are bent i would change them and go from there,variating the airgap will cause this issue

Thing being this didn't happen when the rotor was bent, only happened since it was straightened... :scratch:

Is there any way of temporarily disconnecting the ABS control unit until I get this fixed?

ABS isn't too much of an issues as all my previous cars haven't had it...

Also are the ABS rings (Rotors) and sensors on a VR the same as a late 16v?

Yeah, either unplug the ECU or just one of the sensors on the turret - this will disable the ABS...

Worth checking the ECU tho as it might be full of water... the other thing that would cause this behavior is one sensor out of spec to the other, I had this after changing one for a genuine part but because the new one was Siemens and the old was ATE (and 10 years old) I ended up doing the other side too... Other thing to check is the BPPS but you need VAG COM really to tie it down to one of the 5 sensors.

Cheers S/C ABS ecu's in n/s footwell yes?

Water ingress might make sense as noticed if I park on drive with car facing uphill get slight dampness on carpet there, thought that was probably down to leaky foliage seal, and didn't think about the ECU! :brickwall:

Did you change the disks all round?

I had similar symptoms to this on my VR recently mate, it ended up being that where I'd been playing with the rear disks and adjusting the ABS cages, they'd obviously bent a little bit out and had worked themselves loose when driving the car and were locking onto the magnet in the sensor.

Might be worth a look maybe?

Cheers Mic, nope just the fronts and the cage seemed to be still located when the discs went on!

Will have a look at the weekend provided it's warm enough for me not to stick to the floor! :lol:

Ah bum, thought it might be worth a shot.

Have you checked the gap between the rotors and the sensor? I'm sure it's supposed to be about 1mm with a deviation of no more than something like +-0.5mm for the sensor to pick up the movement correctly.....

Strange that the symptoms are identical to mine, but then I suppose all it's doing in both cases is tricking the ABS into action.

Think All I'll do is unplug a sensor for the moment and then have a good look at the cages at the weekend...

Anyone confirm if VR and Late 16v cages/sensors differ?