Sign in to follow this  
C-UNIT

Please help Temp gauge not working!!

Hi Peeps

Not sure if anyone has had this problem before but any help advice would be really appreciated!

I have a converted rado 1.8t and from what i know the engine runs hotter than what the standard temp gauge is set at, when i had the old 16v engine as soon as the temp would rise above its normal temp range the warning led would start to flash which is how its supposed to work as far as i know. the problem i have is this engine sits just above the set range i think and hence the led continues to flash, i know the water temp is fine and the fan kicks in when it should.. never ever over heated so far.

I have been told that there is a resister behind the temp gauge which sets the tolerance and may be by changing this or some mod that is possible will sort the issue of the led constantly being on. what i found after changing 2 temp gauges, is it will work fine for few weeks with the led always on.. then it just dies.

I have now got another working standard temp gauge sourced from identical dials.. on a mission to get this working if i can, i know the easy fix would be to just get a standalone temp gauge. This is all so that i can keep the standard look.

C-Unit

that light is supposed to light when there is too little water as well. mine has been doing this since i replaced the coolant and a few hoses and it may be an air lock sending the sensor on your header tank all confused.

try unplugging the fan and tightening all the jubilee clips etc. squeeze all the hoses you can get you hands on and you should see the water in the header tnk jumping up and down. then run it to temp without the header cap on - this should get rid of any excess air. turn her off and watch the coolant pi55 everywhere. top her up slowly and then see how it goes.

not sure if this is 100% for the 1.8t if i'm honest, but worked on my KR - maybe a more knowledgable person can post to help?

if not, then could it be that the coolant temp sensor isn't designed to take that high a temp?