Sign in to follow this  
Jim Bowen

Spark plugs & Leads?

Had a misfire for a while and am going to service the car, thinking i may as well get new plugs and leads.

Which are best for a standard VR6? Plugs and leads.

What size leads fit in the standard clips on the plastic covers? 7mm?

is there anything i need to know when i replace these?

never done it before :lol: i bought the removal tool already, do i need a feeler gauge is it

you want the ones which isn't platinum, I think they are called NGK BKR5EKU, atleast I'v heard people have had probs with platinums, but guess others can fill in on this.

I have been happy with magnecore leads on my Passat VR6 for quite some years now, mine is a bit big for the plastic covers as I think they are 8,5mm, I think you will be able to get 8 mm in though

GSF list these ones

SB90130 SPARKPLUG-F5DP0R CO VR6 AAA/ABV Engs. £6.50

SB95009 SPARKPLUG-FR8LDC CO VR6 8/91 > £2.50

quite a difference in price :lol: i think these are bosch plugs maybe?

F5DPOR is the Audi S2's spark plug and 3 grades too cold for a stock VR6.

FR8LDC is the right one.

Feeler gauges?! What century are you from? :lol:

Most platinum or other tipped plugs have a side electrode that actually points at the side of the centre electrode, so they can't really be gapped, but even normal ones with a side electrode that curves over the top of the centre electrode should be correctly gapped from the factory, they should also have a small cardboard tube over the threaded section that will protect the electrodes while in transit, if the cardboard tube is damaged take the plugs back to where you bought them.

Not sure if this is correct or not, but have read quite a few places that people have had problems with other plugs then the NGK I mentioned above on the VR6, just thought I should mention it.

I have no personal experience with any others so couldn't say if it's true or not, but guess other in here can maybe shed some light on it?