Sign in to follow this  
PROVR6

Help required Cleaning ISV

Dsc02322.jpg[/attachment:1rljixpo]

Ive finally got some time on my hands so thought Id give this a go. Ive searched the posts but can't find any with pics of the process for a VR6. Hopefully this will help a few others too. Im a bit of a noob and don't want to screw it up so have a few questions before I attempt it.

I assume the metal piece is the ISV and the black plastic bit (with tape around it in my pic) is the damper pot. Ive a few questions.

1) How do you disconnect the damper pot from the ISV. Its held on not with jubile clips but with metal rings with teeth. Do these have to be cut off or can they be undone and reused?

2) The ISV is held by a rubber thing attached to the car which dosen;t look easily removed. Does the ISV just slide out leaving the housing in place?

3) Which holes in the ISV do you spray with carb cleaner or both? Do you also spray the damper pot with CCleaner?

Your help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark

I can't answer all of this because it differs a little, by the looks of things, from the 16V but ..

1) Not sure - mine was jubilee clips!

2) The rubber boot does come off with the ISV, it's held in place because the opening is slightly narrower than the metal "beam" it slides over (which flares out even more at the end to stop it sliding off). Had to use a flatblade screwdriver and some patience to get mine off.

3) Carb cleaner in both holes (according to the 16V cleaning threads) but you may want to fill it up and leave it for a while to really clean it out.

VR6 owners will be able to help with the clip removal instructions.

answer to question.....

1) you cannot reuse these clips, dont cut them pull them off with pliars from the open end and replace with jubilees.

hope that helps.

.......I've just thought the best way to describe how to get clips off is 'its like pulling off a long thin scab' :lol: !!!

Just slide the ISV out of the rubber holder once the pipes and electrical connector are off. Doesn't take any time or patience! ;-)

hello mate, here is what i do.

1. Get a cuppa tea ready

2. Take off them clips, you'll prob have to bend the bump on the clip to seperate the catch, once off, throw away and use a jubilee clip

(looks like this.....)

jubilee-clip.jpg

3. Pull the two pipes that are connected off, and unplug the wired connector (press the two metal 'wings' in then slide off)

4. Take a sip of tea.

5. Slide the ISV out of the rubber housing, it might take a little twist at the same time, but it will come out.

6. Spray carb cleaned in both holes of the ISV, and shake and then let drain and dry for a while

7. Drink some more tea, maybe a biscut too.

8. Put all back together,

- Slide ISV in rubber housing

- Attatch the 2 pipes and do up the jubilee clips, not too tight as they will nip the rubber and can tear it.

- Reconnect the wired connection

- Finish your tea

Hope that helps.