Sign in to follow this  
Owen VR6

Which Uprated Loom?

I took the plugs from a car I was breaking to make my loom with.

You can build a male plug from spades and epoxy resin too, or so I've heard...

Well, indeed, I've warmed to the idea considerably! Given that it's possible to get replacement plugs and repair wires from VW, then I guess a simple snip of wire isn't too much an ask, as you'd need to do that to repair it anyway. I'd be much more willing to do it if I had real confidence in the replacement loom, but a couple of people were not that happy with the current Ebay one (while others are delighted). I suppose it's partly because I'm fundamentally lazy and only want to do this once and do it right, so I never just jump into things.

Trust me, it really is a do it once only mod :D. The DIY approach works out cheaper than the premade looms and it will be a lot better. Another thing that frustrated me with the premade one was the offside wiring going across the front panel. With my loom, I ran a length of 50amp amplifier guage wire over by the bulkhead instead.

All you need is four 4pin 30 amp relays, 4 fuses and 4 fuse holders, a bunch of spades (for the relays and fuse holders) and some 30 amp cable (Halfords sell reels of that, and the spades obviously).

You can work out which output from the headlight connector does what with a voltmeter.

The main and dipped outputs feed the relays and then the relay output is fused and goes to your new connector, or the original one with a new female connector inside it.

Relays are all wired the same.

Pin 87 - Output to bulb

Pin 30 - Battery

Pin 85 - Ground

Pin 86 - Input (i.e. from the original VW loom)

You can't go wrong :D

I also have very bad luck with faults. I literally can't buy anything in a shop without it being faulty or damaged, even inside the box.

Yep, ditto!

I still get an unwiped triangle on the driver's side, especially as it gets colder going into winter. I thought it was because my driver's spindle was a bit loose in the wiper bracket so I bought another one on Ebay which didn't have this looseness but it made no difference. I would say my wipers are acceptable, but still not perfect.

Have you removed the whole assembly and rebuilt / regreased it? I did that on mine and it made a huge difference. The wiper spindles tend to get a bit crudded up, which can overload the motor, hence slowing down with age.

I would also recommend the Audi TT wiper upgrade. I had similar wiping issues and blade juddering with the Lupo ones but the Audi ones not only wiper much better, they don't judder and they last a hell of a lot longer too.

So of course, I'm considering making a loom myself.

Go for it, you'll know it be done properly if you do it yourself!

In case you forget, print this is off and keep it by the car when you're doing it - http://www.ado13.com/techs/relay.htm

Its been a while since I've posted here, however I 'may' be buying back my Corrado.

I went to look at it on Sunday, and the current owner advised he had to remove the uprated wiring loom, because the dim dip function was not there. I.e. once ignition is on you either have dipped or main beam only.

He could not get it through the mot without reverting back to standard wiring. I never had a problem with it, so has the law changed???