Sign in to follow this  
C. Will Corrado G60 2

HID advise

My upgarded headlight loom has died and don't want to spend more money on crap wiring. Are HID kits easy to fit and which ones are the best on the market at the moment?

Anyone fitted a HID kit to their Corrado with in-pro angel eyes?

Thanks

Im running hids in my sonar headlights (although it says not to). They are brilliant, also they sell uprated headlight looms especially for hids, i just bought 1 from ebay for £10 delivered.

My kit cost about £50 (off ebay) and they are 6000k

Not installed HIDs but would like to in In-Pro headlamps in place of the H7 bulbs, I am interested in any recommendations of any suitable kits.

I had a set of HID's in my In-Pros, taken straight off an Audi R8 Le Mans car, never used high beam again after fitting them - like driving in daylight and never got flashed once by an on-coming vehicle

Im running hids in my sonar headlights (although it says not to). They are brilliant, also they sell uprated headlight looms especially for hids, i just bought 1 from ebay for £10 delivered.

My kit cost about £50 (off ebay) and they are 6000k

Do you know who you brought the kit from on eBay? I don't want any crap as I'm replacing crap which has broken.

Chris

can the standard wiring be ok for hids? really thinking about doing this to my inpros, tired of new beemers blinding me - time for revenge! haaaaaaaaaaaa... just kidding but i would be nice to have lights as bright as the fancy cars

can the standard wiring be ok for hids? really thinking about doing this to my inpros, tired of new beemers blinding me - time for revenge! haaaaaaaaaaaa... just kidding but i would be nice to have lights as bright as the fancy cars

I'm going to look into this and if I go ahead with it I'll create a how to guide on TorqueVW.

Is it a no no, using HIDs on standard lights?

It's not ideal cos the refectors are designed to work with halogen bulbs that put the light source in a certain place and orientation. If the HID kit does the same, you may get reasonable results, if it doesn't, you'll get a crap beam pattern and probably blind oncoming traffic as well. There are so many different kits out there, that you can't really tell what it'll be like. Also, I think the Corrado headlight design is more fussy than, say, a simple, round headlight like a Mark 2 Golf - the kit I had was rubbish in the 'rado but fine in the GTi.

Projectors are definitely the better option and are much more likely to give a clean beam pattern and sharp cut-off.

I fitted a self-made uprated loom and upgraded bulbs to my standard lights and I'm very happy with the results.

Is it a no no, using HIDs on standard lights?

It's not ideal cos the refectors are designed to work with halogen bulbs that put the light source in a certain place and orientation. If the HID kit does the same, you may get reasonable results, if it doesn't, you'll get a crap beam pattern and probably blind oncoming traffic as well. There are so many different kits out there, that you can't really tell what it'll be like. Also, I think the Corrado headlight design is more fussy than, say, a simple, round headlight like a Mark 2 Golf - the kit I had was rubbish in the 'rado but fine in the GTi.

Projectors are definitely the better option and are much more likely to give a clean beam pattern and sharp cut-off.

I fitted a self-made uprated loom and upgraded bulbs to my standard lights and I'm very happy with the results.[/quote:2bosd1qv]

So its a bit hit and miss as to whether it will be a good result or not, and you wont find out if a particular HID kit is ok until its fitted.... hmmmmm food for thought.

I use HIDs fitted to standard lenses and have found the results to be far better than standard or uprated looms (I had an original H100VW loom in my old G60). High beam now consists of HID plus the centre H3s which I uprated to different bulbs (non-HID).

I have never been flashed (ooer) when using dipped beam so in my instance this is not an issue at all. The beam pattern is exactly the same as before but with much more light. Cut off isn't that sharp when compared to new cars with OE HIDs but the net result of having fitted them is definitely positive.

In terms of using the standard wiring I understand that once they're running, HIDs actually draw less current that conventional bulbs. Going from bone stock to HID I've noticed that my headlamp switch on the dash runs a lot cooler so it must be drawing less current.

I'd imagine HIDs would work much better in InPro projector jobbies but I'm not keen on how they look when the lights are off.

Mine were fitted by AllDub tuning (http://alldubtuning.co.uk/) and if you're local to me you're welcome to see what they look like :)

The acid test was my fiance

I use HIDs fitted to standard lenses and have found the results to be far better than standard or uprated looms (I had an original H100VW loom in my old G60). High beam now consists of HID plus the centre H3s which I uprated to different bulbs (non-HID).

I have never been flashed (ooer) when using dipped beam so in my instance this is not an issue at all. The beam pattern is exactly the same as before but with much more light. Cut off isn't that sharp when compared to new cars with OE HIDs but the net result of having fitted them is definitely positive.

In terms of using the standard wiring I understand that once they're running, HIDs actually draw less current that conventional bulbs. Going from bone stock to HID I've noticed that my headlamp switch on the dash runs a lot cooler so it must be drawing less current.

I'd imagine HIDs would work much better in InPro projector jobbies but I'm not keen on how they look when the lights are off.

Mine were fitted by AllDub tuning (http://alldubtuning.co.uk/) and if you're local to me you're welcome to see what they look like :)

The acid test was my fiance

With brand new headlights from VW, is there anything you have to do to them for alignment?

I put a pair of new ones in a year or so ago, but people keep flashing me. I set the height so that they focus at sort of knee height on a wall, which is the same as my missus's standard Polo. When following people, my lights don't shine on their head and people coming the opposite way also don't get light on their face.

I don't understand why they're flashing me. Are new lights just "bolt in"? I suspect the left to right alignment could be off, but there's no way to adjust that?

For now I've had to lower the lights a fair bit, which isn't ideal as it reduces the light spread in front of the car.

Kev, you couldn't have LHD ones could you? Your 'up and down' dip could be fine but they might point right?

Will - I don't mate - I'm sure they'd know at Alldub so you could give them a call (mine's a grey VR and I had them fitted about 2 months ago)

Ha! I will get some pics up of the beam pattern soon but I'm getting married on Saturday so I'm a bit pre-occupied at the moment!

HIDs are xenons arent they... or am i talking tripe?

HIDS are xenons and they will pass the MOT, as the MOT only checks for pattern. Obviously if they are too bright then they may not pass. Anything around 6000K will be fine.

With brand new headlights from VW, is there anything you have to do to them for alignment?

I put a pair of new ones in a year or so ago, but people keep flashing me. I set the height so that they focus at sort of knee height on a wall, which is the same as my missus's standard Polo. When following people, my lights don't shine on their head and people coming the opposite way also don't get light on their face.

I don't understand why they're flashing me. Are new lights just "bolt in"? I suspect the left to right alignment could be off, but there's no way to adjust that?

For now I've had to lower the lights a fair bit, which isn't ideal as it reduces the light spread in front of the car.

I would imagine the headlights on the polo are a bit higher off the ground than the corrado?

if the lights on the polo are higher off the ground they will be pointing down a bit to knee height on the garage door but if your corrado is lower than the polo they may be pointing upward to illuminate the same spot, and obviously the further the distace in front of you the higher the beam will shine.

measure the height of the centre of the lights on the polo and the same on the corrado and then subtract the difference from the height of the polo's projected beam on the garage door and use that point for the corrado.

Is it not a requirement that Xenons lights need automatic adjument from inside the car for an MOT though?

Ive bought some of the Halford super bright bulbs(they were doing 2 for 1 offer). Was out for a long night run the other weeks (in the Scottish hills) and I didnt have a problem with the lights. Could be better but they werent that bad so much. I do have one of those ebay looms but not fitted it yet. Maybe this weekend.

I wrote this previously on a different thread about the same topic recently on this forum, so here is it again.....

You don't need to have an uprated loom fitted when using HID's, but you can still run it. Here is a couple of HID threads, some showing pics of kit and light output once fitted. I think the general consensus is they work MUCH better with projector style headlamps or clear front lenses. Apparently, some guy from a company that was selling HID kits at one of the shows suggested that the reflector in front of the normal bulb in the housing should be removed when using some HID kits as it will mess the pattern up

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57260&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hid

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=72466&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=HID&start=15

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=60563&p=715836&hilit=hid#p715836

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=56676&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hi

Oh yes, and you do need to make a hole in the rear bulb cap with a drill etc to let the wiring through etc. For standard Corrado headlights bulb-type is H4, H7s are only for Inpro / projector-type installs.

If people don't like the angel eye look, and yes it would be expensive, could they not use the glass lens of the angel-eyes on a standard corrado headlight (and fit HID kit if wanted) or just uprated loom / bulbs ? Yes, technically one of the req's for having HID's is self levelling but most MOT testers will pass vehicles with retro-fitted HID kits, they would have to be very picky not to tbh.

I would imagine the headlights on the polo are a bit higher off the ground than the corrado?

if the lights on the polo are higher off the ground they will be pointing down a bit to knee height on the garage door but if your corrado is lower than the polo they may be pointing upward to illuminate the same spot, and obviously the further the distace in front of you the higher the beam will shine.

measure the height of the centre of the lights on the polo and the same on the corrado and then subtract the difference from the height of the polo's projected beam on the garage door and use that point for the corrado.

Yeah good point, the Polo is a fair bit higher up than the C. I'll try that, cheers!

IIf people don't like the angel eye look, and yes it would be expensive, could they not use the glass lens of the angel-eyes on a standard corrado headlight (and fit HID kit if wanted) or just uprated loom / bulbs ? .

Already tried the idea of the inpro lens' on OEM lights. The Lens' on the inpro's arent as deep as the standard lens', or vise versa i forget which way round, so didnt quite fit.