Sign in to follow this  
Jay2

Killed my G60! Advice needed! Now with Pics, whats missing?

:help:

Been out this evening checking the boost on my G60 after putting 550+ miles on a serviced and P/P supercharger from G-Werks and oh shiiiiiiiiiiiiit! :pale:

I let the car warm up and then gradually built the revs up on a number of runs untill finally got the nerve to redline it in fourth and suddenly theres a load squeeeeling noise from the engine bay. I immediately backed off and pulled the car into a side road as I thought the Supercharger had let go. Popped the bonnet to be greeted by a weird kind of squeel or high pitched grinding sound or like pressuried air being released?!

Checked the Supercharger for holes or leaks from the pipes but seems ok and the noise seems to be coming more from the back of the engine, where the throttle cable is located.

Wasn't able to see too much in the dark and limped the car back home.

The volume of the noise increases with the revs but apart from that there are no other symptoms, oil and water look fine, temperature ok, revs ok, :scratch:

Anybody got any suggestions? Has something else let go while I was pushing it? :sad:

Cheers for that, will have a look in better light tommorrow.

If it is that what do I need to do? :confused4:

its more likely just a blown off or split boost pipe somewhere, check all the pipework especially around the throttle body.

if you are running the original rubber hoses they do tend to expand a bit under boost and burst when they get old.

take the outlet pipe off the silencer box and have a feel around for bits inside the box.

does it still seem to be producing good power? if it does it will probably be one of the boost return pipes that has gone.

Cheers for all the advice.

Managed to have a bit more of a listen and poke about this evening. As before, all the dials seem fine when the car is idling or if you rev it.

Definately a whistle noise from somewhere at the back of the engine bay. Had a good feel around and nothing obvious yet.

'Old man' coming round tommorrow evening to give me a hand and bring some better lighting. Will go through the suggestions and hopefully track it down. :brickwall:

Thanks for the replies. :salute:

Hi Mate, I know bugger all about G's but if you need an extra pair of hands give me a shout :salute:

Found the problem but not sure what's missing?

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfThrottleBodyTopDown.JPG[/attachment:e76dnacw]

Engine sucking in air at the back of the throttle body through this pipe end, but its ridged as if something should be attached? Had a look around the engine bay and can't see anything obvious which has blown off. Had a look through the Bentley's and can't find anything.

When its blocked off the car runs without any problems.

ThrottleBodySideOn.JPG[/attachment:e76dnacw]

Can anybody help a poor thick Forum member?

PS. Thanks for the offer Kip!

mate i think that where the petrol carbon canister breather goes ive just got a pipe coming off it with a bolt jammed in the end to seal it

do a search on petrol carbon canister removal on the wiki or this forum

how this helps

stu ...

Nope, the black tube below it in the pic is the one that used to go to the Carbon Canister, which is still blocked off.

But thanks for the suggestion, as it was the first thing I checked when I realised the noise was more of a whistle.

Maybe blown out the idle screw?

8)

Yeah I had spotted your comment flusted, just thought I would emphasize the point for good measure :lol:

Idle Correction Screw! :clap:

Thanks for the help.

Will try the local Stealers but found out that Darren/Rob at G-Werks can supply them if not. :salute:

Idle Correction Screw! :clap:

Thanks for the help.

Will try the local Stealers but found out that Darren/Rob at G-Werks can supply them if not. :salute:

can you find out the part number from VAG then pls?