Sign in to follow this  
iamrinswind

Heater matrix

Hi,

Got a leaky heater matrix, I can see it leaking from the "box" behind the centre consol just to the left (and up) of the clutch pedal. The leak appears to be from the top of the unit.

Can these be fixed?

If not then any ideas where to get one from? and mine is a late 1995 VR6, does it have to be from a late model?

Seen the info on removing the matrix without the dash..... sounds like a big job.....

Thanks

Steve

Remove the dash its much easier. You can get new matrix for about 25 bucks try GSF or ECP. (Mine was from the bay) easy to do, just long winded. Took me 6 hours including beer break (which here is about 2 hours) There is a very descriptive guide from the Corrado club in Canada I think, buts its on here as well. Pics and all

Enjoy.

Dic

i wouldnt buy a cheapo one, i got one from gsf and one from the bay for under 20 pounds. They both look identical but once they warmed up they let off a strange smell. The one i have now has also packed up! so i think i need to get a proper valeo unit

Just completed this last week, I took some pics as I went along. I'll put together a wee document when I have some time!

I bought one from GSF - it was the Valeo one - is that the OEM version? It cost around £40 and the pattern one was £22.

I also did mine two weeks ago, dont take the dash out you really dont need to! (lower trays, glove box and centre console needs to be removed, also three nuts in the engine bay one for the fan unit the other two for the matrix) I bought mine from GSF too was a Febi bilstein so good quality just over 40 bucks.

I also did mine two weeks ago, dont take the dash out you really dont need to! (lower trays, glove box and centre console needs to be removed, also three nuts in the engine bay one for the fan unit the other two for the matrix) I bought mine from GSF too was a Febi bilstein so good quality just over 40 bucks.

ah so it can be done without the dash out!

When you say centre console, do you mean the heater controls part, or the handbrake tunnle?

any chance you can give a quick quide how you did it with the dash in? I dont fancy taking my dash out, but need to place the matrix.