Sign in to follow this  
G60rob

Headliner cleaning

Maybe somebody will find this useful.

The C came back from the garage with black fingermarks all over the headlining round the sunroof (they'd had to take it out to respray it), and on the door cards and grey seats.

I'm reluctant to use water on the headlining after seeing the tidemark left by a leak round the aerial, so I thought I'd try the dry spot cleaner that my wife uses for oily stains on carpets (seems I don't always wipe my feet carefully enough after I've been in the garage :roll: )

It worked a treat! The only drawback is it's very dusty, being a sort of talc block that you rub on and work in with a brush then hoover off. Also good on the carpets, of course.

It's called Janie :shrug:

Ours came from Lakeland, but they don't seem to sell it any more. Google came up with caraselledirect.com, so I'll be sending in an order for a block for the car.

I've found Windex to work very well, i had finger marks all over my sunroof panel until i squirted some of that on there, don't need much, just a mist of it then a rub with a clean rag, then dry it, came out perfect

Lighter Fuel is the best cleaner for the job, cleans perfectly with no tainting/marking whatsoever and evaporates straight away. Michael at M.J interiors gave me the tip about 3 years ago.....awsome for anything fabric/carpet material.

spraying carpet cleaner on it then getting a steamer on it lifts all the dirt up then just wipe clean.

My came up amazingly clean.

I used Autoglym Interior Cleaner on my headlining. It's in a tall aerosol can with a blue Autoglym logo and it's a sort of mousse spray type stuff. You spray it on, rub it into a dirty bit of headlining and then pat it dry with a very lightly damped cloth. It did an excellent job.

Lighter Fuel is the best cleaner for the job, cleans perfectly with no tainting/marking whatsoever and evaporates straight away. Michael at M.J interiors gave me the tip about 3 years ago.....awsome for anything fabric/carpet material.

how do you apply it?