jaded2882

Bye bye G60 :(

Hi, been posting the odd thing on here for a while but don't think this forum was here when I joined. Got my G60 in the summer from St Albans. It has a 'Corrado Club of Great Britain' sticker in the back so maybe somebody on here has owned it before?

My mate bought a G40 and I was seriously impressed by it, so figured why not get its bigger, better looking relative? His G40 lasted a week, written off by a ground anchor for a set of gates at work sitting too high, of all things! :cry: RIP.

It's had the charger re-furbed recently at Jabba (eek!), 70mm pulley, scorpion exhaust and TSW wheels. Just got a nice pay rise :clap: so might be taking it to G-werks after xmas for some treats- 68/65mm pulley, toothed belt drive, oil cooler, intercooler, CNC head and ECU remap. It's got it's MOT next week so I'll see how that goes before I get too excited!

I work and live in Shrewsbury at the moment but I spend a lot of weekends in Bewdley/Kidderminster. I'm pretty new to Cs and only been driving 3 years! So expect to see me asking loads stupid questions in the future!

Edited by jaded2882

So it only failed the MOT on emissions cos the prev owner had removed the cat converter :brickwall: DOH! New one being fitted and retested tomorrow... Is this gonna be easy to take out in between MOTs? Or does it depend on the exhaust system?

Nightmare. Guess you couldn't wind the COpot down to get it through the test??

You'll have to make sure the centre section isn't an oversized bore, else the new cat won't fit.

When you get the de-cat off, sell it to me :-) Want to replace my Miltek third silencer de-cat crap.

It's all being done at the garage now but I'll ask them for the decat. I don't know how far it was out of the test tbh. Could do with the cat conv for future tests anyway I guess even if it means borrowing some trolley jacks (squish! :shock: ) and taking it on and off once a year.

Thanks for the comments I do try to keep it shiny, that IS within my capabilities!

Ah, someone local to me (when you are in Bewdley), love G60's so if you ever need some advise give me a shout, I am building a Mk2 G60 as we speak (in between fixing a Corrado VR6 and a Mk2 2l 16v)

Super-G, I think I'll keep the de-cat in case I want to swap it back one day. Not sure you'de want it anyway, they had to chop the ends off to get it out!

Only a few days since the MOT and I've got a horrid clicking noise coming from under engine- turns out a gasket has gone on the manifold :( so another £130ish setback...

Hi mate nice g60 im local as well work at sealine in kidderminster,if you need ant help give me a shout im doing some work on mine as we speak check put 'drews g60 a year in pics' for updates.

Thanks, I always appreciate offers of local help. I'll keep my eye out for you in Kidde, I'm sure I won't miss a C as tidy as that :)

I did some temp work at Sealine a few years ago, seems like they work you lot pretty hard!

Sod them £2million boats, I bet it's more fun working on the rado 8)

So after about 18 months of ownership I decided it was time for an update. Excuse the name- it seemed appropriate with the usual state of the interior, (muddy wellies and ambiguous brown stains :roll: )

In January I went down to G-werks for some mods. Horrid weather- ice and fog all the way down and back so cracked my new fogs as I had them on for more than 5 mins! :mad2:

68mm pulley and chip

268/276 cam

Mocal Oil Cooler

Fixed the exhaust manifold that was blowing like a tractor!

RSR outlet, replacing the plastic box with a big crack in

Despite most of the bolts being rounded off, they finished everything in a day and it felt like a totally different car on the way home.

However it now had a rattling noise under full load. Me being a numpty I didn’t realise it was infact pinking quite badly.

I worked this out a few months later and took it to a local VW garage. They found that the timing was quite a bit out and ‘reset’ it. However it drove a bit slower after that so I wasn’t really convinced it was how it should be.

Over summer I fitted a jabba FMIC kit. Was quite pleased I managed to do it myself and didn’t have any major dramas. I was starting to get a bit more handy with a spanner now!

Corrado92.pdfImage024.jpg[/attachment:34tyqhr8]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfImage025.jpg[/attachment:34tyqhr8]

Also fitted inpro fogs and indis as the stock ones are pricey and prone to cracking.

Inpro headlights soon followed to match.

Managed to get the timing set up a bit better but it wasn’t driving great. As the charger was a Jabba job with 30,000 on it, I decided that was the next point of call. I was getting about 13psi following the mods at G-werks but now couldn’t make much more than 10. So it looked like the seals were getting worn. Also went for full port and polish while it was there.

Got the charger back and had to be patient while I ran it in… Was gutted when it was finally run in and still driving like poo. It was about this time I found out that DG had opened :D so I thought I’d have a chat with them before I pushed it over a cliff and bought a VR :ignore:

Extensive boost leak checks ensued to no avail. A compression test showed that one of my cylinders was way down, and they also found some grit in the charger pipes. My SWG kit had a crack in it and it looked like it had sucked crap through the charger :bad-words: :censored:

So… Head off. The exhaust valves were all pretty nasty but especially on 4 which was the one that was down on compression. Soon it was all cleaned up and back together.

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfDSC02161.jpg[/attachment:34tyqhr8]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC02167.jpg[/attachment:34tyqhr8]

DSC02172.jpg[/attachment:34tyqhr8]

Whilst it was in they changed my badly fitted Scorpion exhaust with a Milltek, fitted some new pads and grooved disks from Supercharged, fixed my spoiler (which is the only thing the missus cared about :lol: ) and changed a sticky caliper.

Compression was good on all 4 cylinders but acceleration was still poorer than it should be and the boost reading was still low.

So by now it looked like I’d blown a load of cack through a newly serviced G-lader and damaged the seals :censored: :bad-words: . Dave and Graham very kindly offered to redo the seals with me (mostly watching and being scared of touching ANYTHING :camp: ) Dave got some new seals from ARZ (£100 for 8 bits of rubber :shock: ) and cracked the charger open.

Now comes the great g-lader mystery… There was a slight score mark in one of the seals

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfDSC02816.jpg[/attachment:1hgyvu2n]

But there were no seals at all in the one end of the charger!

DSC02818a.JPG[/attachment:1hgyvu2n]

Although it didn’t seem likely I thought they may have been left out when it was rebuilt. Darren at G-werks got back to me very promptly when I emailed them and said they would have known if they had missed them out because:

1) They would have had 2 seals left lying around, and

2) G-laders explode when seals come out- they aren’t balanced and so the scroll spinning inside makes contact with the casing- which throws it more offline and after a few milliseconds KABOOM! He told me that this is often what kills chargers when some seals are more worn than others. Therefore no seals at all would kill it quite quickly.

I didn’t realise that the balancing was so important- so the issue of the missing seals is really weird. The only problem I had prior to taking it apart was poor boost. No horrid grinding or metal on metal sounds. The walls around the missing seals were in good condition so it didn’t look like this had happened (ie the charger about to blow).

If I hadn’t been there myself I would have said they dropped out when Dave and Graham opened it, but we did it very carefully on a work surface and I still have the 6 seals that came out!

So although we’ve all done some head scratching we can’t work out what happened to them- it might be down to whatever blew through the charger from my cracked airbox :bad-words:

But more importantly the new seals have gone in and it is totally awesome again! :clap: Thanks so much to DG for all the hard work and biscuits! :notworthy: Without you I think it would be on my drive getting frowned at still!

I bought some very interesting wheels from oldskoolkool and other bits and bobs from the forum- here’s the current progress

stromlaufplan_gamma4.pdf102_2014.JPG[/attachment:1hgyvu2n]

Corrado92.pdf102_2012a.JPG[/attachment:1hgyvu2n]

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdf102_2011a.JPG[/attachment:1hgyvu2n]

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdf102_2009a.JPG[/attachment:1hgyvu2n]

I’ve kept all the standard stuff (lights, intercooler etc) in case I ever want to go back. Not sure about the bonnet bra at the moment- it hides the stonechips nicely though!

Now I’m gonna stop spending money on it and enjoy it :D

nice rado mate,i have a set of those strosek in the shed,

really got me thinkin after seeing your motor,have only ever seen

one other set on a passat :D

nice update Matt and glad to hear you got those issues sorted, even if it is still a mystery! It's looking well 8)

Ta, should see you at the RR day- be interesting to see what it makes on the rollers

Here's my graphs from the RR day at Stealth:

climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfFile0001.jpg[/attachment:1kmlrm1s]

2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCopy of File0007.jpg[/attachment:1kmlrm1s]

Copy of File0006.jpg[/attachment:1kmlrm1s]

The only bad point is that the transmission loss seems quite a lot :scratch: But I'm not too bothered as it drives like a dream!

I'm having my MOT next Thurs at DG. My gf's Corolla is being done the day after so if they both fail we're really screwed!

Still have a few small jobs to do on it but I don't have a garage and it's always dark and cold at the moment :( Roll on spring

Passed MOT today 8)

Celebrated by tearing around like a nutter and listening to the sweet music of the G-lader all evening- big grins :D

Got a couple of short videos of how it sounds now with the Miltek, decat and boost return deleted :) Need to get some tunnel ones now!

And a lap from track day at Abingdon last year

Not much changed in the last year: De-blinged the rear lights with some nice smoked ones from ARZ, and Lamin Xed the front ones. Also got some new lightweight 17" wheels (which I am hoping to put some track tyres on and run 2 sets). I also had a DG remap not long after the RR day in 2009 as it was still pinking a bit under load. I am waiting for a shoulder operation so can't get it on the track at the moment which is killing me! I got a real taste for it after doing a few last year and the car is running really well now. Just hope the weather doesn't turn on me when I'm ready to go.

Looking and sounding good mate, need to catch up again soon dont think Ive seen you since last Stanford hall

Ye I know it's been a bit of a mad year for me, I've hardly even posted on the forum. But I'm determined to get to a few shows or meets this summer so I'll keep an eye on the Events section and catch up soon. Need to see your new VR!

Well, my mate drove the G60 away today... I was very sad to see it go- this was my first proper 'fast' car, and the first one I really loved. I should see plenty of it in the future and it will always have a special place in my heart.

He had a trip out in the VRT too today with another one of my other mates in the back- it was great fun seeing them grabbing bits of the interior with terror as I came off roundabouts! :)