Sign in to follow this  
Niall16v

vr6 storm misfire and lack of power

Hi! there, need a little help , my vr6 storm when cold misfires on the rev up but feels like all cylinders at once and on full throttle i have all the noise and no pull . it feels like somethin is holdin her back . anyone have any ideas? any help would be great.

cheers

Hi!

my camera is broke mate :(

but gonna get a new one at the weeekend so can put a few pics of the car on here, is that the air flow meter and plug u want the pic of? i checked that last nite and looked ok but dunno for sure. I fitted a new fuel pressure reg and made no difference cus i thought she was not gettin enough fuel .

I had a similar problem, would idle fine but as soon as you rev it would misfire and only rev up to about 3-4000 rpm max. It was like this for the first few miles but would run fine when the engine was hot. It turned out to be the engine speed sensor, the wires had chaffed on the engine and casued this problem, not a cheap part but a simple fix. I can't remember th exact name but it's not the crank position sensor it's the other one. Hope you cure it!

Cheers mate,

this wee problem is wreckin my head :confused4: i checked the cat and its completely clear so not sure if its the maf or fuel pump or coil pack but will have to replace dang near everything to sort it lol

Coilpack is good to check when it's getting dark, look for arcing across the surface. You could try dousing it in wd40 and cleaning it to see if that makes a difference.

I will try that the marra nite,

I also think she is running a bit lean cus on changin the plugs i thought that the old ones looked a little on the white side .

changed the pressure reg and it made no difference , looks like i might need a fuel pump .

You need to check for air leaks between MAF and inlet manifold. The pipe and filter for the breather at the rear left of the rocker cover often fails.

Better get the ECU scanned for error codes. Everything else is just guesswork and frankly you don't wanna be changing parts based on guesses when they're so hideously expensive..

Hi,

Just wondering if you managed to sort this problem out as i am having a similar thing at the moment. Lack of power throughout the whole rev range. Starting with the fuel filter and working up to the expensive parts. I noticed that my plugs are all a bit white (i.e. running lean) Thought it might be a leak somewhere in the induction system, so its drawing more air than the ECU thinks.... But cant spot anything obvious. Thinking the MAF sensor could also be the problem... How much are they to get a replacement? how can you tell if its the MAF thats knackered? If i unplug it while shes running im assuming ill notice the change...

I need to get it sorted as it feels like im 17 again and driving a 1.1 peugeot!!! Would an old/blocked fuel filter really make this much difference?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Cheers, Tobe

Hi matey

Yea fitted new maf and it cured all misfireing and now revs smoothly , But she is still underfueling big time cus the plugs are pure white and short of pullin my hair out not sure what to do next to get her sorted.

any help would be great

cheers

Havent checked it yet cus i thought if it was jiggered the car would run very rich, gonna check the nite for air leaks to see if there is any cracks in the induction pipes.

over here in N.ireland there is no one who knows anythin about these fine machines , not even the bloody vw dealers lol :lol:

Yeh lambda, my 16v was underpowering/misfiring and was getting upto 45mpg. New lambda sorted it all out after mistakenly replacing things like plugs, leads and dizzy first of course,typical innit.

Have to add two garages didnt have a scooby what the problem was. Funny how garages are almost scared to work on corrado`s.

Hmm sounds like you are having the same problems as me.... Ive started a new thread with my particular problem but will keep an eye in here aswell. Like you say, if its the lambda sensor wouldnt that make it run rich not lean?

I can hear some hissing around the idle stabilisation valve, but cant see any real signs of cracks. Not sure if its just theh flow through the pipes and valve that makes the noise or weather there is a leak there. My fuel filter seemed to sort it out for a few days, but its gone back to how it was, really underpowered and sounding a bit gruff after i didnt drive it for a day..... it makes no sense. Im thinknig it might be the fuel pump? have you checked yours?

how much does it cost to get vw to hook it up and get fault codes?

Thanks, Tobe