Sign in to follow this  
Danny B

Scirocco Lap Time ?

Has anyone else noticed that the Scirocco lap time posted in EVO is pretty darn good.......its quicker most notably than a focus ST which aint bad at all :shock:.......and the 'hot' version hanst even been launched yet (alhtough to be fair it will probably just have leather, air con and walnut as standard, be about 1/2 second quicker to 60 and cost 20% more) .....am I the only one surprised by this.....I know you can just say its a golf GTI so no surprises, but still good IMO.

......doesnt make me like it any more though :tongue: :lol:

I wasn't entirely surprised. I think people got far too hung on up on the styling and use of the Scirocco name rather than looking at whether the car was any good or not! Magazines did concentrate on the facts rather than the nostalgia and that's why it got universally great reviews..

And I'm happy to say that I thought it handled like it was on rails when I braved it round the Nurburgring - even loaded up with 2 other people and a load of camping gear, etc it stuck to the track like sh!t to a blanket and went like rocket out of the corners.. it's a seriously capable car! I can't wait to see (review?) a warm version! :)

Couldnt agree more Jim about the styling thing, All you actually here about the new scirocco is the styling and banging on about its history....which is intersting, but at the same time not all that relevant as to how good the current one is.

I never really thought of it like that but thats got to be a big reason why I'm surprised its actually quite a good car by the sounds of it, according to the reviews at least.

Given the chance I would drive around the ring in a trolley let alone a new scirocco....lucky lucky man !!

I think it's the active dampers in the rocco that's giving it great handling, plus wider track, lower C of G etc compared to the Golf and Focus, so looks aside, it is a good steer.

Despite the Rocco's controversy, VW have done it again. The Corrado was a much better handler than the Mk2 and MK3 Golfs (stock v stock) at the time, and ditto with the new Scirocco. So I'm pleased to see VW do cater for keen drivers when designing their coupes.

Rocco v Focus ST - To be fair, even the Golf can take that car. The Focus is well known to be understeery and vague on the limit. Not as good as the original Focus RS, but not bad.

I still don't like the look of the Rocco, but I think it's looks could be improved with the right mods.

Yeah I never agree with that cool wall thing.....Alfa Mito.....What the @~:?

The Fiat 500 is on the cool wall in Sub Zero and reckon the Mito is a superb looker as well! :)

I think its impressive that an (almost) entry level scirocco can see off a Focus ST which in standard guise is considered the best in class around the corners......and there should be still more to come with the scirocco aswell, although to be honest I'm already looking forward to the facelift !!

......and talking of facelifts, Jim you cant be serious, 500 is veeeeery cool but the Mito looks like its had a bad hollywood face lift :shock: !!

What's not to like! It's an Alfa (cool points) and it's a Mini competitor like the 500 (extra cool points):

alfa-mito-and-8c-competizione1.jpg

I prefer the Fiat 500 still, but wouldn't say no to a Mito! :)