Sign in to follow this  
jmuggali

boilling g60 pt2!

Hi, after 12 months of my C being off the road I took the advice and I changed the expansion cap and all was well :D BUT it then blew a hose (£53 bloody hose! :shock: ) spat all the water out, luckily in the garage. New hose fitted it ran fine but the pressure it is building up is unreal after a 10-15min run all the pipes are expanded. Isn’t there some sort of release valve anywhere as I’m going to go through pipes just trying to find the problem. Any help would be welcome as I don’t want to put her back in the garage for another 12months. :cry:

Thanks James.

Sounds like you have a blockage somewhere.

Is coolant circulating through the expansion tank ??

There is a small hose connecting this tank with the radiator top hose. As there is a pressure release valve in the expansion tank, this may be the hose which is blocked.

Are you using G12+ coolant ??

Might be the thermostat. If the bottom hose gets hot and expands and the top hose remains cold, the stat is stuck shut. Otherwise a blockage as Steve mentioned or an air-lock.

Kev

Thanks for the fast reply, it would make sense as in the very begining (12 months ago) it spewed out a lot of muck and rubish, now I have the original problem solved it showing this one up, going to check this pipe next. As to coolant it was all done by the local garage just before it split a pipe and spat all of the water out :(

Make sure you use the correct coolant - must be G12+ from Volkswagen.

Indeed, the girly pink sh1t!

Interesting you have crud in the coolant system. A sure sign of neglect by a previous owner. VW engines are not renowned for sediment buid up. Still, if VW claim their blend of glycol is 'sealed for life', then customers cannot be blamed for not replacing it every 24 months!

K

Will be worth flushing the radiator too - any crud in the system may block it.

in addition to the above have u used rad weld or similar product in the past or if u only jus bought the car what steve said is highly recommended to sort out the prob

also when filling up again take off the top rad hose and fill through expansion bottle with heaters on hot and towards windscreen but not actually on, leave on zero. let a bit of coolant flow through the top hose when filling and than do it up and slowly fill the expansion tank to the level...........this is how i sorted mine out

my 2p's worth

Interesting you have crud in the coolant system. A sure sign of neglect by a previous owner.

Or a service at a $#!{ garage that topped up the G11 with G12 (not G12+) as this causes all sorts of jelly type slime to develop in your coolant system causing blockages all over the place... :shock: Not good... :?

jmuggali I agree with Steve, flush the system as much as possible until you are SURE that there's no crud left in there, then, as steve says, fill with G12+ and water... 8)

Setting the heater control to hot doesn't do anything on these, I have done a matrix change on a MK2 and there is no valve in the hose to it. The heat is regulated by allowing heated air in to the cabin or external cold air.

On MK1s etc there is a valve in the hot feed to the matrix and therefore you would need to open the valve to ensure the whole system is filled.

Kev, will it not be the other way round, the top hose will get hot and the bottom one be cold if the stat is stuck shut?

Does the temp gauge keep on rising?

The hoses on any car will have some pressure in them, even to the point of feeling pretty solid. Could you be paranoid since the hose blew?

Is the fan cutting in?

Cheers

Gavin

Setting the heater control to hot doesn't do anything on these, I have done a matrix change on a MK2 and there is no valve in the hose to it. The heat is regulated by allowing heated air in to the cabin or external cold air.

which valves do you mean???the ones fitted on recall??

No mate. The recall was to relieve pressure in the system that could blow the matrix.

Furki was talking about allowing water to flow thru the matrix so that there are no airlocks. However, water flows thru them all the time anyway. So it makes no difference whether it is set to hot or not. Except, you would know water is in there, as it blow hot in the car.

Gavin

H100VW...i didnt really know if u was meant to put the heaters on hot or not but like u said it doesnt make any difference anyways,,,, i only did this coz ive done it on previous cars too and its easier to notice if you are getting warm air once u topped up the coolant......Not bad advice is it

Furk

Does the temp gauge keep on rising?

The hoses on any car will have some pressure in them, even to the point of feeling pretty solid. Could you be paranoid since the hose blew?

Is the fan cutting in?

Awaiting a new temp gauge sensor so not to sure about the temp, but the fan does cut in as a new fan switch has been fitted in the rad.

As to the pressure this is not normal! today it did a good pressure cooker impression with a really high pitched whistle :shock:

Also done a head test before I changed the cap and all was fine.

Thanks for the help guys.