Sign in to follow this  
mikepppp

Electric Mirrors Not Working

Hi

Just brought a 2.0 16v and the electric mirrors don't work was wondering if anyone knew of any easy fixes for this?

Cheers

There are plenty of threads on here regarding fixing mirrors Mike (check with the search for a full list). Most likely candidate though is the inside of the switch (and the electrical contacts) being dirty. Best to open the switch up and give it a clean.

Insides of the switch look like this......

passat climatronic wiring diags.pdfCorrado mirror Sw. change (1) (Large).jpg[/attachment:273fmzj5]climatronic wiring-Golf from May 01.pdfCorrado mirror Sw. change (3) (Large).jpg[/attachment:273fmzj5]2.8l 24v Climatronic system.pdfCorrado mirror Sw. change (2) (Large).jpg[/attachment:273fmzj5]Corrado mirror Sw. change (7) (Large).jpg[/attachment:273fmzj5]

Hi

Thanks for the help, i have now got the passenger side mirror working but not the drivers side which is confused, when you try and move the drivers side it just makes a clicking noise. Also the heated rear window does work but the switch does not light up so you cannot tell if it is on or not. Do you think this could be related?

Cheers

Hi

Thanks for the help, i have now got the passenger side mirror working but not the drivers side which is confused, when you try and move the drivers side it just makes a clicking noise. Also the heated rear window does work but the switch does not light up so you cannot tell if it is on or not. Do you think this could be related?

Cheers

Have you cleaned the inside of the switch yet?

Hi

Cheers

That to me sounds like the bulb within the switch. They should be on completely different circuits to the power for the electric mirrors so I doubt they are related. There is a thread on here about how to fix the bulb or alternatively, I do work on switches and can do that for you.

With regards to the mirror you might also want to check the contacts going into the motor on the drivers side then. Alot of the switches/mirrors go like this if they haven't been used for a while.

I changed the switch for the mirrors and that is when the passenger mirror started working but still not the drivers side so i'll have a look at the contacts to see if they look damaged which might cause one side to work and one not to work.

With the bulb on the heated rear window would it not be easier to change the switch? how fiddly is it to change a bulb?

Cheers

With the bulb on the heated rear window would it not be easier to change the switch? how fiddly is it to change a bulb?

Could just be as simple as a broken or detacted lead - you wont know until it's opened up. After you have got into it it is a case of reattaching the lead, or removing the bulb completely and replacing it with another. Not too fiddly if you have some watchmakers screwdrivers (for getting into it), soldering iron, replacement bulbs etc. Replacement switches cost around £10 second hand, so keep an eye open if you want one of those.

Had the same problem with my mirrors, just clicking and only one working now and again, definately the contacts in the switch. opened it up, bit of fine emery cloth or brillo pad on the copper contacts and it works a treat now, not had any problems since.