Torsten

illuminated speedo needles

the car is almost in storage but before im getting it to the winter garage im doing some of the long planned modifications.

as some of you already know im running the ddi gauges. but the prob with these gauges are the invisible to the eye needles.

the uv lights wont work for me so i tried to find a better way.

and thats what my buddy Dirk aka 5dot1 made for me. this guy is a luminary in those things!!!

3qow8op2.jpg

3 little boards w/ led/smd's to illuminate the needles.

this kit is to illuminate the needles from behind. not an easy modification but its worth it !!

these little boards have to implemented in the white gauges supports/trays which are underneath the gauges.

umsxi3ly.jpg

73tiufqr.jpg

l92wiesr.jpg

pasting them with some drops of super-glue

the led's have to be flat to the white gauges support/tray so the gauges will lay flat down too.

kk8lldnj.jpg

quite easy so far. the hardest part would be the temp / gas gauge.

the white support/tray isnt as good as the other two. i used one of the old stock gauges as a support for the small board.

lwhbpnba.jpg

first of all the holes for the needles needs to be bigger

43xth95x.jpg

pasted the board behind the stock gauge

pz7y5xza.jpg

the white thingy need some more midifications. the stock and ddi gauges will be too thick and the lil needle arbors for the needles needs to be modified too.

5xi9mq9c.jpg

k8nmhief.jpg

bigger holes in the ddi gauges

installed the temp / gas gauges first time

du7lv6az.jpg

first try if its all good and working

z9hsz8an.jpg

the resulte without the DDI gauges

qpxf66qo.jpg

and the final look

cvrv3qx7.jpg

next time im trying to use some Audi 80 needles

Awesome work. This was the only thing I found lacking with the DDI gauges. What needles have you used in the pics?

yes, these are still the later style needles im using. i bought a set of mk4 needles but they dont fit. the gas / temp. needles are a way to short and the rpm is too long. maybe im going with a set of audi 80 needles in the furure.

looks good! why didnt the uv lights work for you? they work just fine for me? or was you after a different look

well, i installed some (3 or 4) uv led's before this modification and it didnt turn out as i first thought. still too dark and you can see a reflection of the uv light on the gauge rings.

this is when i installed the uv lights

glt7dry8.jpg

(my camera sucks)

I also have a set of DDI dials,and not being able to see the needles in the dark ,drove me :cuckoo: i found a cold cathod kit from maplins and fitted them in........ five sets later :bad-words: ...perfect!!! :clap: (they kept breakin when i put them in) soooo carefully!

I'll try n get sum pic uploaded..

well, i installed some (3 or 4) uv led's before this modification and it didnt turn out as i first thought. still too dark and you can see a reflection of the uv light on the gauge rings.

this is when i installed the uv lights

glt7dry8.jpg

(my camera sucks)

can i ask why your KPH/MPH needle is sitting far lower then standard?? if im not mistaken the needle should be sitting on the 10/20..

the reason i ask is that i have noticed ,when i had a tomtom, that my speedo was incorrect to what the tomtom was sayin..so iadjusted it accordingly..and it end roughly where yours is... jus wondering?

usually there is a rest that the needle sits on. when you fit the ddi gauges you have to take it off as there is no hole in the new ones

yep, thats right. when she is back on the streets in spring im going to check the speedo with my navigation system to see how correct it is....

hi could you tell me wat i would need to convert my gauges and where i could get them from?

cheerz

oh and i no its a forum for carrado's but ive got a mk3 golf 1.4 coudl i still convert my gauges?

you can buy those gauges from DDI Dub Design Industries in Canada. They do them also for mk3's but just VR6...