drewiee99

G60 2 years on, engine out because i was bored

Nice to see some progress Drew, not suprised the rear dampers are shot though they tend to be a bit of a weak link although you can't really complain at 18+ year old dampers having leaked.

Incredibly clean car and a real credit to you. Did I see this at GTI International last year?

No i was not there but i saw your car at corrado central (dg autotech) and its just as clean it was mint looked really nice car in silver, when i saw yours and butterflys rear beams i thought ive got to sort mine out. Just getting the carriers painted red or black and the etching on the calipers red and then getting them lacquered. If i can get some more work in the short shift kit will be going in soon as well, ill keep you all posted.

Hi Drew, long time no speak. Good to see that you ept the G60 after having it for sale. Will be seeing you at some shows this year. Just done the G60 conversion in the Mk2, though it will be never as clean as yours, but then again I do like them dirty :D

Just a few updates ive got the rear beam back from the powder coaters all new rear bushes to go in. I also got some new brake shields and every bolt from VW for the rear beam, i am going to send them away to get zinc coated just like the originals that came off. i also got a original brake regulator or what ever its called, and i got 2 sets of brakes carriers painted, 1 black and one tornado red not sure which one to use yet.

We have run into a little problem with the rear calipers, the handbrake cable runs over the top not underneath, you can turn them round but not sure if trappped air get in the system as the bleed nipple will be facing down? I should be able to sort it out just need a MK4 handbrake clip and a cable tie.

Ive aldo used Gtechniq C1 lacquer on the rear of my alloys to help protect from brake dust.

More little update its been hard trying to juggle detailing cars and getting work done on the rado. I sent all the bolts away to get zinc coated started to put the rear beam hangers on just waiting for rear beam from dg once they can get the rear bushes pressed in.

Just waiting for the tank straps,brake shields and rear clipers and hand brake cables as changed these to. then need to sort the suspension out, cant wait to get it on the road and drive it.

Amazing as usual, Drew :notworthy: I really don't know how you do it! Mine looks such a state compared to yours :(

Just as I was thinking nearly got my car ready for the new season along comes drew and raises the bar still higher, oh bugger!!

Might take you up on the paint work polish mate, will be in touch :D

Looks nice and clean :shock:

Did the steeler want much for the parts for the rear beam?

cheers mate hows the machine polishing coming on?

Only managed to get the bonnet done before the weather went crappy. Came up pretty good- made a difference using the pad you gave me (thanks again!)- the ones that came with the polisher weren't great! Where do you get them from? Have looked on a couple of detailing websites and couldn't find them. Are they 3M?

Will give it another go when I've finished breaking the 8v 8)

Just as I was thinking nearly got my car ready for the new season along comes drew and raises the bar still higher, oh bugger!!

Might take you up on the paint work polish mate, will be in touch :D

no trouble bruny hope the pics of the cosworth were ok, it only had 19k 1 owner car been in garage for 5 years.

That Zinc coating looks fantastic, where did you get it done?

http://www.reevemetalfinishing.co.uk/zinc.htm only charged me £15 to do the lot. I always hated the new bolts from VW as they were not coated, i think they turned out good and OE looking

Looks nice and clean :shock:

Did the steeler want much for the parts for the rear beam?

a toatal of around £120 with rear bushes

cheers mate hows the machine polishing coming on?

Only managed to get the bonnet done before the weather went crappy. Came up pretty good- made a difference using the pad you gave me (thanks again!)- the ones that came with the polisher weren't great! Where do you get them from? Have looked on a couple of detailing websites and couldn't find them. Are they 3M?

Will give it another go when I've finished breaking the 8v 8)

Yes 3m yellow pads and menzerna 85rd polish, they do blue ones to if you need any other 3m stuff i should be able to get hold of them, im also a Dodo juice authorized detailer so if you need any of this give me a bell.

Just about to order some new rear calipers for my G60 and i found this post.. can you tell me a bit more?

did you get them to fit okay? how can i get hold of some? need them asap and this looks like a decent upgrade!

Cheers

Baz.

Just about to order some new rear calipers for my G60 and i found this post.. can you tell me a bit more?

did you get them to fit okay? how can i get hold of some? need them asap and this looks like a decent upgrade!

Cheers

Baz.

PM SENT Baz

Got the rear beam back thanks to graham at DG for putting the bushes in, started to put a few bits onto it but still waiting for the tank straps,rear splash shields and calipers to be painted. Ive ordered me some bilstiens B4's (till i can afford the b12 kit) and a new bosch battery. its going to be close for sunday the car has been in the garage since dec without a cover on and covered thick in dust, ive still got lots to do, i would just like to be there as there is 9 pegs in the coupe class this year if everyone turns up.

Can't wait to see the car mate! You're gonna have your work cut out to get it ready on time- I'm sure you'll manage though! :) Struggling to get mine done, to be honest :?

Would you be able to get me some 85rd polish and a couple of pads please mate? Let me know how much they'll be and I'll give you the cash at Stanford if that's OK?

hi i cant get any of the 85rd i brought that from polished bliss, i can get dodo juice lime prime which is a good pre wax cleanser with micro aprasives. It can be used by hand or machine and i use it all the time its a good product. 250ml £14 500ml £24. I can also get any of the 3m range yellow or blue top polishes.

Well i didnt make it to stanford hall due to the rear calipers not fitting, and i got my wallet and my phone nicked out of the van on sat. I have had a few bits and bobs back from Jaytek Racing and went to euro car parts to get a new battery and a set of Bilstien B4 shocks.

Cheers

Baz.

PM SENT Baz

Got the rear beam back thanks to graham at DG for putting the bushes in, started to put a few bits onto it but still waiting for the tank straps,rear splash shields and calipers to be painted. Ive ordered me some bilstiens B4's (till i can afford the b12 kit) and a new bosch battery. its going to be close for sunday the car has been in the garage since dec without a cover on and covered thick in dust, ive still got lots to do, i would just like to be there as there is 9 pegs in the coupe class this year if everyone turns up.

Cheers for the PM.. I've gone with MK4 rears and i'm getting my rear meam powdercoated at the moment..

Is there any chance you still have the list of part no's for all the bits you ordered that attach to the beam? I may as well do everything properly whilst its up in the air..

hi mate i have the reciepts but i just went down and ordered them of etka at the dealers there and then it was a bit eaisier, i had a early rear beam as well different to late cars.

hi mate i have the reciepts but i just went down and ordered them of etka at the dealers there and then it was a bit eaisier, i had a early rear beam as well different to late cars.

cool no worries, my cars a 91 G60 so should be the same? Will get down there and get ordering, just wanted to make sure i dont miss anything!

are you an vagcat or got etka as then you can print the relavent pages off and look before you go to the stealers, the rear bushes were about £75 i think the rest were not to bad. The worts thing was getting them coated they opened all the bags and wired them up, i had fun trying to find out were they went after.

ive managed to fit the tank straps and the rear suspension is attached now to. I also managed to fit the rear beam on my own in the garage, i would not recommened this to anyone get some help its much easier. i had a little struggle getting the bushes lined up due to the powdercoat, i had a mare with the rear brake lines i had to get underneath and undo both of them to attach the fixing bolts the right way round. I attached the rear brake shields and hand brake cables, and also i placed the disc on to see what they looked like. Black and Gold looking good, just ordered new mk4 rears calipers due the comp brake ones fouling on the rear beam.

Its got to be ready for brisol VW fest, i cant wait to drive it it been 6 months since it went into the garage, just stay clear of big road side elecrtical boxes.